Keychain cam.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why it's better to buy upgrades & new toys in the off season....

JD
JD, that's a good idea, but I didn't have a rocket in the off season. This is my first rocket. I've learned a lot so far, but I have a LOT more to learn! :D

Add me to the list... ordered one a few days ago. The 2gb card in my phone would probably be put to better use in the cam. :rolleyes:

For only $11.15, I can be James Bond!

I got a 4GB card from Frys.com..Was like $10..

If you shop around and possibly wait for a sale, you can get even larger ones for about that. I think my 8 GB cards were 12 bucks each.

On the other hand, I think the batteries would die not much after a 4GB card was filled. I think when we had a temporarily lost rocket, it recorded ~5 GB of data before the batteries died.

Two cams arrived on my doorstep on Saturday. Memory card next on the list. I'm looking forward to playing with it soon.
:bangbang:

yippy! I just recieved my cam. Anybody know the charging time for this little thing?

I purchased two cameras from here:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160414582568&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have not used them on any rockets yet but indoor tests shows one of the units has an audio problem. During playback there is some weird loud noise. The other unit seems fine.

I tested both units with 2 different 4gig Kingston microSD cards.

But for $6 a piece, no complaints. I will probably pick up 2 more from a different seller.

Caveat emptor

I purchased two cameras from here:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160414582568&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have not used them on any rockets yet but indoor tests shows one of the units has an audio problem. During playback there is some weird loud noise. The other unit seems fine.

I tested both units with 2 different 4gig Kingston microSD cards.

But for $6 a piece, no complaints. I will probably pick up 2 more from a different seller.

Caveat emptor

All 4 of my cameras came from this same vendor. If you email them, they have wonderful service. They offered for me to send back a broken one, and said they would send a new one. I just emailed them through ebay. Great vendor.

Finally got around to buying a memory card. It's all set to fly on my L2 cert tomorrow.

Has anyone one else had their computer not recognize their camera at all? Saying that you have to reformat the sd card? All of mine are working well, but I have been asked that question by someone who bought one on my recommendation. He has tried to plug the camera into his computer as well as just the sd card.

any ideas? I'm at a loss for advice for him.

Got a chance to use it yesterday. I flew it on my L2 cert flight. I think for the next flight, I'm going to put it on the main chute section. Hopefully that'll keep the spinning down to a minimum.
[youtube]Zowhy-iSpt4[/youtube]

Flew my keychain cam on my Trois Duex this weekend. :) Gotta edit and upload to YouTube..Will post a link tonight after work!

May2010Launch 002.jpg

Flew my keychain cam on my Trois Duex this weekend. :) Gotta edit and upload to YouTube..Will post a link tonight after work!
I flew mine in a drag race with Pantherjon's. His rocket was faster - hopefully he got mine in his video. Here's mine:
[YOUTUBE]tuJftK3F_hI[/YOUTUBE]

My cam came in the mail last week... this thing is cool! I had some trouble with it being recognized by my computer, but I switched out the USB cable, and it seems to be working. I've read that these tend to come with low quality cables, so make that one of the first things you check if you're having trouble.

It will hopefully be attached to a flight next month!

:eyepop: Ah-ha! So, Rocketjunkie, it is true! I knew 'crop-circles' were caused by spacecraft, but I imagined them to be from a much larger craft...:roll:

Well, here is the flight of the Trois Duex! Unfortunately I didn't get Tom(Rocketjunkie)'s rocket in my video. I did get his smoke trail tho as we were on diverging flight paths..'Our' drag race became an impromptu 3-way drag race as the rocket next to mine was inadvertently launched with ours(pad was armed when the launch button was pressed...Battery ran out prior to touch down..Rocket landed about 15 feet shy of some hungry rocket eating trees!:eek:

Was a great flight! Flew it again on Sunday with a much smaller chute and recovered it much closer to that pad that day! :)

[YOUTUBE]LHIjjC1mwNk[/YOUTUBE]

I recently received and used my keychain cam. However, I use Windows XP and have Windows Movie Maker software. I can view the .AVI file but Movie Maker won't let me edit it. Can anyone suggest free and simple to use video editing software?

I've used Movie Maker with XP and had no problems. The keychain cam I have uses uncompressed AVI files, so there shouldn't even be a codec issue.

Sandy.

O.K. I have it working now. I am unable to change the date stamp because I don't have a SD card reader for my computer.
[YOUTUBE]CbXcgKbLeUo[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Back