Keychain cam.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried it out after work. I am impressed.
[YOUTUBE]SjxIh3fuma4[/YOUTUBE]

Doug,
You got a #3, Excellent! I ordered my two new ones from the same people as last time, in hopes I'll get the #3's as well. Sweet video! Looks like that patriot has seen better days:wink:

Braden

Just got my keychain cam in the mail a few days ago. Looks like it's a #8, the reviews of which are not great. Guess there's only one way to know for sure... :cool:

Got a message from the people I order mine from on ebay. For-Easy-life

for-easy-life said:
Hello friend,
Thanks for your purchasing. I am glad to inform you that the item has been shipped today. It is the version #3 many buyers are looking for. The delivery time is about 4 to 6 weeks because of recent peak season. Please wait patiently. Please feel free to contact me on eBay firstly and directly if the item does not arrive on time or other issues before you leave feedback, don’t worry, we can solve the questions with you in time to satisfy you. Our aim is to serve you better. Communication is the best way.

clip snip clip snip

Best wishes!

- for-easy-life

Link is in the very first post on this thread, order them before they're gone!

Braden

Just remember: That not all cams are created equal....
Even if it is a #3; it maybe the bottom of the barrel #3.

JD

Got a message from the people I order mine from on ebay. For-Easy-life

Link is in the very first post on this thread, order them before they're gone!

Braden

I bought two from the Ebay seller "keyhere". They haven't arrived yet, but I am excited!

Mine arrived today, and so far, the video quality hasn't been as good, they are, in fact, #3's though. I'll post a test video tomorrow.

Braden

For about $40-$45 you can get the exact same thing in TRUE 720p (not interpolated) and the video is PRETTY DARNED GOOD too.

oh and you can turn off the stinking timestamp too :)

Upscaler, be sure to check the video outside in good light. They all look kinda crappy inside the house.

Okay, somebody help me out here, looking for a fix. The same thing that caused me to retire my last camera has happened to one of our brand new ones! It powers up but when you hold down the record button, it doesn't record, won't take pictures. nada. Easy fix? or trash?

BTW: for my dad's L3 attempt (hopefully this fall) we are building a camera into the AV bay. We are going to try a #11 720p keychain cam.

Braden

Last edited:
WHAT #11 1080p camera? or do you mean the 720p cams ? 1280x720 ?

1080p is 1920x1080

Okay, somebody help me out here, looking for a fix. The same thing that caused me to retire my last camera has happened to one of our brand new ones! It powers up but when you hold down the record button, it doesn't record, won't take pictures. nada. Easy fix? or trash?

BTW: for my dad's L3 attempt (hopefully this fall) we are building a camera into the AV bay. We are going to try a #11 720p keychain cam.

Braden
Hi there!

This happens to me all the time. Just reset it, and you're good to go. The camera has a hole on one of the sides (NOT the one on the lens side of the device). Inside is a recessed push switch. Use a paper clip to push the button...push it for a few seconds, and release.

Should be all good to go...:wink:

Hi there!

This happens to me all the time. Just reset it, and you're good to go. The camera has a hole on one of the sides (NOT the one on the lens side of the device). Inside is a recessed push switch. Use a paper clip to push the button...push it for a few seconds, and release.

Should be all good to go...:wink:

WOW, thank you for the suggestion, I tried this and it didn't work,but it will stay in my mind for future reference. then I thought about something, the card in the one that wouldn't work was the same one in the other one that I thought didn't work. It won't record because the damn card is full! now I feel like a royal dumb@ss for tossing the other one aside. now I don't know where it is!

Braden

Last edited:
WOW, thank you for the suggestion, I tried this and it didn't work,but it will stay in my mind for future reference. then I thought about something, the card in the one that wouldn't work was the same one in the other one that I thought didn't work. It won't record because the damn card is full! now I feel like a royal dumb@ss for tossing the other one aside. now I don't know where it is!

Braden

Dooooh!!!

Don't feel bad... I've done that too! :bang:

-C

Dooooh!!!

Don't feel bad... I've done that too! :bang:

-C

Well, add that to the book of knowledge. the good news is they are both ready to go. We planned on putting both on just incase one shut off or something, or if I forget one, at least one will have footage.

I did my first dual deploy flight with the keychain cam with my darkstar, turned on the camera and walked back to the flight line, right before they closed the range, for got to twist wires to turn the altimeter on...that was close. :wink:

Braden

ordered three from ebay seller. one went south. light stays on when connected to computer and stays on after disconnect. will not shut off with on/off button or take pics or vid. computer doesn't recognize. I reset and the light goes out (camera off?) but still will not work. good thing I ordered the other? :rolleyes:

ordered three from ebay seller. one went south. light stays on when connected to computer and stays on after disconnect. will not shut off with on/off button or take pics or vid. computer doesn't recognize. I reset and the light goes out (camera off?) but still will not work. good thing I ordered the other? :rolleyes:

if it works, then yes, definitely a good thing. :wink:

Sending our cameras 10,000 ft+ this weekend.

Braden

Just ordered a keychain cam from ebay last night. It is suppose to be a #3, we will see what kind of quality I end up receiving. This is the one I ordered...

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120716162448

They claim a 10 day shipping period. Plan on sending this up on a Estes Hornet kit I am finishing up now or on the Estes Nova Payloader upscale I am going to begin working on in a week or so. :D

Finally flew my keychain cam. The results were not good.

[YOUTUBE]MHKNGw1KKJE[/YOUTUBE]

Does anyone have any ideas on what's up with the white balance? Has this been seen before in keychain cams?

Maybe the CMOS got burnt up from the reflection off the desert playa. Beyond that, I'm at a loss.

BTW, this was my L2 re-cert flight on a J135 to 4,867 feet.

Finally flew my keychain cam. The results were not good.

Does anyone have any ideas on what's up with the white balance? Has this been seen before in keychain cams?

Maybe the CMOS got burnt up from the reflection off the desert playa. Beyond that, I'm at a loss.

BTW, this was my L2 re-cert flight on a J135 to 4,867 feet.

Unfortunately sometimes they are DOA, or like yours, have some major settings problems. Have you shot any video indoors, in low light?

The usual solution to this is to chunk it and get another one -- they're cheap enough -- but on one DOA camera, I sent a note about it to the ebay seller, and they just simply sent me another one for free.

By the way, "white balance" is used to mean balancing for the overall color of the light source. Indoor fluorescent is generally greenish, incandescent is generally yellowish, and sunlight is slightly bluish. These little cameras generally have decent white balance detection. What you are asking about is general exposure or light sensitivity, usually given in "speed" ratings similar to roll film. Looks like this particular camera was set way too high.

Last edited:
It has been a while, but ours flew!

[YOUTUBE]2D_LY6i-H4U[/YOUTUBE]
Nice flight! Too long of a delay!

[YOUTUBE]khrAkkzFnsU[/YOUTUBE]
OWCH! Lawndart! The camera survived, and the rocket will be repaired!

Both at CMASS.

Yeah that didn't look too good. Are there settings on it? I was getting ready to order them and might wait to see some feedback from other users

No, no settings. You can set the clock by putting a text file in the root directory of the memory card, and you can use it as a video or a still camera by pressing the buttons in a certain way, but that's about it.

These cameras are "seconds", a batch is made, a few are tested. If the tests go bad, the whole batch is liquidated to these guys who go ahead and sell 'em cheap, since they know most of them will actually be good.

Last edited:
By the way, "white balance" is used to mean balancing for the overall color of the light source. Indoor fluorescent is generally greenish, incandescent is generally yellowish, and sunlight is slightly bluish. These little cameras generally have decent white balance detection. What you are asking about is general exposure or light sensitivity, usually given in "speed" ratings similar to roll film. Looks like this particular camera was set way too high.

You are correct; my mistake. Do you know any way to fix the video in post-processing? From what I've read, once a pixel goes to white it is impossible to bring back.

You are correct; my mistake. Do you know any way to fix the video in post-processing? From what I've read, once a pixel goes to white it is impossible to bring back.

yup, if the contrast was the problem, then you'd be able to fix it to some extent, but if it's that over exposed, then the pixels are read as white, and if you lower brightness you'll just get grey, no differentiation in color. i was able to buy a 1080 recorder for 8 bucks, with free shipping...from hong kong! it was a great deal :)

Latest posts

Back