Kevlar cord source

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly, like everything else in rocketry, you have to try them all.

It is an expensive process and makes me want to shout!:mad:

The Thread Exchange is frequently recommended here on TRF.

No personal experience, however. Have purchased from EmmasKites.com but just kevlar thread in different strengths.

We have a sample card with all the sizes we carry. You can PM with your address and I can ship a sample card to you.

I've only purchased thin Kevlar from them for sewing. Nothing larger, but it was a smooth a quick transaction.

I have bought from some rocket supply sources, but I am looking to get about 300 yards and really dont wanna spend 3x as much for it (average for hobby stores). The link I posted is thread and I dont think thats what I want, looking for 100# to 200# cord (braided). I buy everything from hobby stores (keeping it in the family) but 300 yards from a hobby supply is gonna cost around 100$ or more and I cant justify that for this situation when that amount is readily available for 30 to 40 dollars. Would be nice if the hobby supplies would cut you a deal if you purchase more than X amount.

+1 on emmakites.
Have several of their cords from 150# up to 1500 #. good quality, low price. They are tubular but more tightly woven than the typical sold by rocket vendors, so they seem round not flat.
Also free ( and fairly fast) shipping

Last edited:
For that size and quantity I would also recommend emmakites.com . I have have great service from them so far and have a never had any issues with quality. unless you want ultrafine kevlar that can slice through things, I would go for the 250# or larger
https://www.emmakites.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=336_365&products_id=297 . I use this size for most of my parachute lines as it packs small and hasn't cut into the ripstop yet.

Im looking to buy a quantity of Kevlar cord. Has anyone used https://www.thethreadexchange.com/m...GY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=kevlar-thread ? Opinions on this source or suggestion on others. Not looking to go thru the bay or anything like that. Just wanna order and pay with debit card etc...

I have used Thread Exchange, excellent service. I have some of the Tex 300 kevlar that is uncoated, I use it for LPR recovery harnesses. The only complaint I have is it is a twisted kevlar "yarn like" and needs some kind of coating, otherwise it works great.

Im looking to buy a quantity of Kevlar cord. Has anyone used https://www.thethreadexchange.com/m...GY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=kevlar-thread ? Opinions on this source or suggestion on others. Not looking to go thru the bay or anything like that. Just wanna order and pay with debit card etc...

Yes I have bought several spools of different size Kevlar Twisted lines from them. Quality products but they are all Twisted.
If your looking for Braided (tublar) Kevlar line at GREAT prices try KevlarStore.webs.com. They have 70, 100, 200, 500 and up braided kevlar in natural, UV resistant Green and a few specialty colors. Great stuff at good prices.

Another good source for tubular Kevlar is Pratt Hobbies. last time I purchased he had 50lb twisted. 90lb thur 1000lb tubular kevlar.

Kevlar Line-a_28lb to 138lb (128dpi)_06-05.jpg

Kevlar Line-b_28lb to 140lb & size chart_06-02-04.jpg

Kevlar Line-c1_Yellow 70lb Braided (tubular)_08-12.jpg

Kevlar Line-c2_Yellow 70lb Braided (Tubular) Kevlar_11-16-15.JPG

Kevlar Line-d_Green 100lb UV Resistant line_11-16-15.JPG

Kevlar Line-e_Blue 200lb twisted Kevlar Line_11-16-15.jpg

I have to mention that the lightest braided yellow Kevlar that Apogee sells kept a Crossfire ISX nose cone affixed to the branch of a tree for nearly two years, so that's some good stuff right there, and it does'nt even talk about being UV resistant if I remember correctly.
The spearfishing line is very supple, and is expected to see salt water use, so it is pretty well treated.
That said, I'll be getting my next order of Kevlar from Onebadhawk.

I have to mention that the lightest braided yellow Kevlar that Apogee sells kept a Crossfire ISX nose cone affixed to the branch of a tree for nearly two years, so that's some good stuff right there, and it does'nt even talk about being UV resistant if I remember correctly.
The spearfishing line is very supple, and is expected to see salt water use, so it is pretty well treated.
That said, I'll be getting my next order of Kevlar from Onebadhawk.

Another Kevlar source is Edmonds Scientific On-line. The sell a 600yd spool of 2-strand twisted 13lb yellow kevlar thread that makes OUTSTANDING shroud lines and Streamer Attachement lines. it also make great very light kevlar string by twisting 3 or more strands together into a light line.
I've also used it on many scale models as conduits, ducts, weld lines and winding nozzle coolant lines.

As mentioned in the earlier post The Kevlar Web Store as braided Yellow kevlar as small as 50lb. which is perfect as "No elastic" Shock-lines for Micro Maxx models. Frankly to help my Micro models Shock-lines last longer I use 70lb yellow braided Kevlar with a short 18lb 49strand Stainless Steel beading wire crimped loop Shock-line anchor attached to the forward centering ring of the motor mount.
This stuff is expensive, but has proven to outlast most of the models with 20 or more flights. Available at most Craft stores the carry bead making materials it has changed my mind about shock-line anchor systems for micro and LPR Models.

Beading wire Shockcord MMT-a_The Parts (128dpi)_07-08-06.jpg

Beading wire Shockcord MMT-f_5pic page(128dpi)_07-08-06.jpg

Comp Chutes-a_25mil, KevlarThread& tapestrips_08-27-06.jpg

Last edited:
Check out eRockets - Randy has good quality Kevlar thread that doesn't unravel when you look at it. On par with the stuff from Edmunds.

I have used emmakites for 1500# Kevlar. It was great stuff.

Back