Kevlar AND a baffle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judo

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I'm putting a baffle in an upscale and this will be my first use of an after market baffle. I am also planning on using a Kevlar leader or maybe just a straight Kevlar shock cord.

I'm wondering, if I wrap the kevlar around the motor, would I thread the shock cord through the baffle?

Or would I sink a screw eye into the last baffle plate?

The airframe is two 18" BT-80's.

Your thoughts?

Judo
I put Sunward baffles in both a LOC Viper IV and a 29mm Executioner using a threaded eyebolt & nut,tying the Kevlar(Giant Leap) directly to the eyebolt. Both have flown and deployed flawlessly,no zipper even on the stock thin-wall Estes BT. I just used the center hole in the upr baffle plate for the eyebolt/nut. I also coated both sides of the plate with epoxy to strengthen the 1/8" wood plate.

Judo:
I just put a baffle in my new Centuri Orion with a stanless avation shockcord ancor attached to the lower baffle plate.
You could simply do the same with the kevlar or route it thur the baffle along the outer diameter edge from your motor mount if you wanted to do it that way.

472p02a-sm_Baffle & St. Stl Tape_01-12-08.JPG

472p02b-sm_Baffle Shockcord Anchor_01-12-08.JPG

I've used a baffle with an Estes Rainmaker. The kevlar cord was tied to the top end of the baffle. So far its had 5 flights and there is no damage.
i have heard of the kevlar being mounted to the rear of the baffle and then getting toasted.

when I use a baffle , I keep the shock cord above it that makes it possible to keep an eye on any damage.. you can't usually see whats happening to the shock cord below the baffle.So the baffle becomes the anchor point for me

Back