Just My Opinion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
So we have the following dilemma. Without moderation, groups are subject to sporgery. (Witness RMR) With moderation, moderators can be held civilly (ironic adverb of the week) responsible for the content of messages.

I'm not a lawyer, and I know nothing of what went on. Therefore my comments are purely my own opinions, and cannot possibly be interpreted as comments on specific instances. Speaking in generalities, it just seems to me that threats directed at forums and moderators are attempts to correct speech by deliberate obstruction of the channels of free speech. In my personal opinion, such attempts are at the very least irresponsible and at worst directly threatening to out cherished freedoms.

This is especially true since the same forums are ready channels of corrective speech, which are available equally to all parties. In principle, someone may damage someone else on such a forum, but it would seem to me, simple layman that I am, the remedy should be in litigation between the parties directly involved.

But Hey! What do I know?

-LarryC

I am a relatively new BAR and HPR rocketeer. The rocketry community seems to be such a mix of extremes, sometimes in the same people. In one respect many are outstanding, outgoing, friendly and patient with newbies and others. Others seems to have something to prove ("I know more than you do" is common here in TRF), and get in pissing contests over little and big things--publically. I know high power rocketry in particular has a certain personality that attracts certain kinds of people--usually not shy or reserved.

To its detriment, it seems as though the community is its own worst enemy at times. The "AMW Reload Sale" recent thread is a great example. I think the thread should never have been hijacked like it was--counter-productive to what the AMW rep wants, and a public yelling match that deters people from open discussion & participation. For goodness sake, the man (Scott) that posted the thread has had a hellava year with personal tragedy and challenges--give him a break and help get him back into the rocketry business!

Here's one newbie HPR that wishes that we could all get beyond this kinds of issues for the betterment of rocketry.

Back