Jet-Puffed: a cardstock wrapped recycle bin rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenP

Reaction score
This will be a hybrid cardstock wrap over an empty paper towel roll rocket again. The idea here is instead of using a random plastic bag homemade chute for a scratch rocket, I am using the colorful logo on the plastic bag as an inspiration to make a rocket to match and tie in with the design. This one is from a bag of mini-marshmallows, a low-res scan of the chute that I cut from the bag is shown here. I am thinking of a tube-fin rocket (a variation on the theme of a Groove Tube) where the little tube fins are more in the shape of the mini marshmallows with those smiling faces on them, and maybe another one on top for a nose cone. Still working out the concept. Going for 18mm power, a "mini" motor would match the theme better, but might not be powerful enough.

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 11.44.51 AM.png

An A4-3T will lift about 49 grams of empty rocket (57g counting the motor weight) according to Estes' Engine charts, so as long as you keep it under that it should get off the pad. Won't go high pushing the air a paper towel tube will push but I bet you can make one light enough.

I've made 18mm rockets out of the M&M pop top tube containers with 3D printed fins and they fly. I know it's not the same thing, but those M&M rockets probably weigh more than your paper towel tube one will.

Just a rough drawing to get an idea of the art work for the cardstock wraps on the body and tube fins. The ring fins will be sized to 1:1 dia-to-Length ratio and have the same dia as the paper towel roll. Not sure how much weight this will be after adding all those ring fin tubes covered with cardstock, it might be okay for an A10-4, but planning to use an 18mm mount for this one, probably more impressive flights on a B or C. Kind of Groovy. I might add some smaller faces on the nose cone too. For now that is the same nose from the Mission Bell. I will try to have the ring fins extend just even with the motor hook, so it can stand on its own.

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 11.11.08 PM.png

Last edited:
here is my first draft of the template. I had to reduce file size, so the body wrap is a bit fuzzy in this PDF. I have to make a few more messes in the kitchen to finish up another paper towel roll, it is near the end soon. screen shot of page 3, tube wraps for the fins, I will wrap them together, then cut the tube into six segments.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 4.35.19 PM.png

Attachments

• Jet-Puffed-reduced.pdf
    172.6 KB · Views: 9
Of course one of the colors is getting low in my ink cartridge, so I got some striping when printing these up. I might just go with it and see how it looks anyway.
3A480147-7C6E-4867-887A-5CFC6D7CD3BA.jpeg

If you don't manage to work some real marshmallows into this build I'm going to deduct points.
Maybe on the Kevlar line for zipper protection, or a piston for chute protection, then you get a nice toasted treat when it lands! I pretty much just use these mini marshmallows for hot chocolate. Not sure how to use an actual marshmallow on the rocket and not attract ants. Because that’s how you get ants.

Last edited:
The Choice Is Made! The Traveler Has Come!
Stay thirsty, and Sta-puft, my friend! I could not find one of those brands at the grocery store here, so Jet-Puffed will have to do! These mini guys kind of remind me of a Dr Who episode when the little adipose creatures attack.

03dea900-514f-4e05-90e0-fa3a8ffe812c_1.a0551a3b5d32139dcae30b856496a1f3.jpeg

Last edited:
Add a payload section for a mallow you eat when it lands.
Hmm, maybe in a vented compartment and wrapped in foil, so it will be lightly roasted, add a bit of chocolate and a graham cracker too, how many extra points for that?

Hmm, maybe in a vented compartment and wrapped in foil, so it will be lightly roasted, add a bit of chocolate and a graham cracker too, how many extra points for that?
If you can have the rocket come back to earth with a fully cooked s’more inside then you get *all* the points.

If you can have the rocket come back to earth with a fully cooked s’more inside then you get *all* the points.
To carry the extra payload and generate enough heat for a toasted tasty snack, I might have to go up to 24mm power for this one...hmm... ...crazy enough...very interesting...seriously considering...wheels of thought turning...

I was thinking something along those lines, I would use a through tube, and the warming chamber would be right next to the engine to get the most heat right from the source. Just have to see if I can still balance it with a payload that far aft.

When I printed my pages, the printer setting must have been set to "scale to fit page" or some scaling less than 100% that made it a bit smaller than I wanted, but I will go ahead and use the body and fin wraps. I will have to print the nose again, since that dia has to match the body tube, for the others they won't matter to have an extra white stripe hidden on the back. I doubt I can get enough heat during a short duration boost, coast, and recovery to really melt much of a snack, so I am just going to go with a traditional 18mm power here. As much weight as I add near the hot engine would require about as much at the nose for balance, and I don't want to go to higher power motors for this fun size rocket. Maybe another can take on the challenge. An SR-71 pilot could just heat his lunch up on the dashboard, but this black powder powered toy just won't really make enough heat for that. Was a fun concept to ponder, might work for a MPR where you have that lifting capability and longer burn times.

For the glue tabs on the nose cone transitions I get lazy and don’t draw them in my template. I usually just trace them out from scraps. I use a similar color pen to ink the cut edges of the transitions and then draw a color matching stripe on the glue tab so the white paper does not show through gaps as much. Here are a couple of pictures of how I draw those on two of the nose cone transitions. I draw these by hand because I am just too lazy to draw them in Inkscape.

8531AE47-2057-4149-8DBC-E7C20E097100.jpegEFE2D9D9-78D1-416F-B823-FEAF2FF7C23C.jpeg11D250E8-59CC-4F0F-B99B-68D021D4D370.jpegF6A4147A-87FB-457C-A207-1A7EFE5C4177.jpeg

I shape the transitions first and glue those tabs using a glue stick. Then I feather cut the circular tabs and use a light coating of white glue applied with a skewer to assemble the transitions together. I start from the bottom and work my way up. After they totally dry, I use a skewer to add another light coat of glue for strength. You can add another coat, just let it totally dry first or the glue can wet and soften the paper.

0048B7F0-10E2-4D8F-8256-4B9543CB4B5D.jpeg901D430C-935C-4E52-AF06-1D8DC0910A27.jpeg

There are better instructions on how to make a cardstock cone by the models in the Project Paper thread for example. But this is sort of how I make them.

I like to put a baffle in the middle of the body tube to add a bit of strength and to anchor the Kevlar line. Engine hook was made from a wiper blade metal strip.

I will use another part of a tube to make a shoulder for the nose cone and use a teabag attachment for an elastic shock cord to the nose.
99459168-A3B7-4ADF-8F9A-E6F0D9872C52.jpeg606D423B-054A-45E2-96D2-ECEB9A6CAE45.jpeg

If you don't manage to work some real marshmallows into this build I'm going to deduct points.

This needs to be a cold day launch... the oozing, sticky mess on the launch pad in the heat of summer will only attract passengers like ants, which under TRA rules could be allowed to fly!

As well as anti zipper device, just cram the body with loads of them and whom ever catches one in their mouth gets all the points too...and sets a new world record!!!

1639870497690.png

I just use some cellophane tape folded over on each corner and a hole punch…you can trim the excess tape or leave it.

7B22982E-52FA-48DA-8C99-7058BA77DBB3.jpeg

I use about twice the dia of length from Button thread, they used to have carpet/button thread in 100% cotton, now it is more typical to find it in a poly/cotton blend. Either is fine, it is just a bit heavier than normal thread, good for shroud lines in LPR light rockets.

732D5A60-4D89-4B3C-83AA-18BB34B80EC1.jpeg

Then loop and tie them, and thread them through a swivel. One drop of white glue on that knot to hold it.

E6C4E1B1-E380-4B63-9E21-D11103B77D9E.jpegF7ABE716-87BC-4E05-946F-54B39434429B.jpeg
This might be a bit small for this size rocket, but the tube fins can probably take a hard landing.

Last edited:
Man thats awesome! Watching your YouTube video now! Live the builds man! I briefly saw you made something to stop zippers??
Thanks! I usually just fold over like a tea-bag of cardstock, a couple of layers thick, similar to how you might attach a shock cord in a kit, and place that on the cord near the lip of the body tube for a little anti-zip insurance. Maybe trim off the sharp corners so it doesn't get stuck on the cord itself as much during ejection.

Back