Jeff L's unbaked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about making a two stager roughly modeled after the old Astron Avenger. I was never happy with the look of the fins on the sustainer, so I've been messing with different separation lines.

Avenger.png

Another "messing around with a classic" design I did a while ago.
I've never really liked the Big Bertha, the lines feel kind of clunky to me. So I was playing with it to figure out why. This is what I ended up with, kind of an Art Deco thing.
Miss_Bertie.png

Just noticed that minimum diameter 18mm to 13mm two stage rockets tend to look like real sounding rockets:
MiniTwoStage.png
And if you fly it with A8-0 to 1/2A3-4 it looks like it goes about 150m, which might mean you could find it again afterwards.

Or do C6 to 83, go above 400m and wonder what happened.

Just noticed that minimum diameter 18mm to 13mm two stage rockets tend to look like real sounding rockets:
View attachment 612578
And if you fly it with A8-0 to 1/2A3-4 it looks like it goes about 150m, which might mean you could find it again afterwards.

Or do C6 to 83, go above 400m and wonder what happened.

With an adaptor you can sub an A10-0 for the A8. Lower cost, lower weight, win win

https://www.rocketreviews.com/compare-estes-a8-to-estes-a10t.html

Wondering if a cheap grass skirt would work? Maybe not, as the cone flare would spread the fibers.

Using real straw would be a PITB.
It probably would with rings to keep the shape.

Witches' brooms are frequently made from twigs, not straw, and might not really be so hard. (Maybe I could even whip one up by Saturday. Hmm.)

It is both amusing and disturbing that you know this. Yeah, call me politically incorrect.

Apologies for the tangent, but does anyone know the stories of Baba Yaga? A witch that lives in a hut that walks around on chicken legs (called Izbushka) looking for bad Russian children to cook in her stew? She flies around in a mortar that she drives with a pestle, and uses a broom to sweep up the tracks behind her. Happy little children's bed time stories they aren't.

Apologies for the tangent, but does anyone know the stories of Baba Yaga? A witch that lives in a hut that walks around on chicken legs (called Izbushka) looking for bad Russian children to cook in her stew? She flies around in a mortar that she drives with a pestle, and uses a broom to sweep up the tracks behind her. Happy little children's bed time stories they aren't.
Sounds more or less like the original Brothers Grimm. My grandma sent us a book of the original Grimm stories for our kids when they were young. We took a look through and quietly put the book in the donate box. We didn't need the nightmares.

Launch lug placement is gonna be a real witch!

Option might be a pass through the fin can right next to the main tube (broom stick.) I used something like this on Tank Killer, which used a toilet tank ball float as a nose. It really helped that I was able to connect the forward and aft holes in the float with a soda straw, so the rod when threaded through the aft hole was guided right to the forward hole.

Launch lug placement is gonna be a real witch!

Option might be a pass through the fin can right next to the main tube (broom stick.) I used something like this on Tank Killer, which used a toilet tank ball float as a nose. It really helped that I was able to connect the forward and aft holes in the float with a soda straw, so the rod when threaded through the aft hole was guided right to the forward hole.
Use a fly-away rail guide and mini buttons...

It would have to be a fly-away rail guide with a stand-off distance. If you know where to get those, please do tell, as I need that for a different rocket. I've been expecting I had to design and make it.

It would have to be a fly-away rail guide with a stand-off distance. If you know where to get those, please do tell, as I need that for a different rocket. I've been expecting I had to design and make it.
Yes, it would have to be a custom design. If I could ever bring my skills up to par, I would build a OpenSCAD customizer to create such. Alas, so much to do, so little time...

Orrrrrrrr..... do something ridiculous, like make a clip-on dust pan attachment that can provide the launch lugs, or flies away like a rail guide.

1699035066836.png

Ignorant people (in this case me, regarding 3D printers) often make ridiculous suggestions, but what the heck.

if you were to 3D print the whole fin can unit, how hard would it be to

1. include a pass through launch lug in the design (as a minimum, lined up holes at forward and rear ends, you can connect them with a straw later)

2. Implement @neil_w ‘s suggestion of texturing the outer surface with @jqavins ’s twigs?

???? @cwbullet ???

Last edited:
Ignorant people (in this case me, regarding 3D printers) often make ridiculous suggestions, but what the heck.

if you were to 3D print the whole fin can unit, how hard would it be to

1. include a pass through launch lug in the design (as a minimum, lined up holes at forward and rear ends, you can connect them with a straw later)

2. Implement @neil_w ‘s suggestion of texturing the outer surface with @jqavins ’s twigs?

???? @cwbullet ???
Number 1: easy.
Number 2: easy to print, possibly a PITA to design.

Back