Japan airline disaster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had not seen any news about this before I saw your post. Even my online news readers had not yet posted about it. I had to specifically search for news about a Japan airline disaster to find it. Horrifying and preventable. It will be interesting to see the results of the investigation.

I read that too, which serves to compound the tragedy.

I love me some Sully, I mean who doesn't? But Sully's plane wasn't on fire. These folks are right up there with him in saving all souls on board.

I saw it on You Tube a few minutes after it happened. I didn't see anything at that time about the passengers getting out until later. It is a miracle that anybody got out. When I saw that everyone got out I was amazed. Considering all the flames as the plane slide down the the runway without it's nose gear. Having seen the cluster truck of people getting off a plane at the gate I didn't think anyone would get out.

I saw it on You Tube a few minutes after it happened. I didn't see anything at that time about the passengers getting out until later. It is a miracle that anybody got out. When I saw that everyone got out I was amazed. Considering all the flames as the plane slide down the the runway without it's nose gear. Having seen the cluster truck of people getting off a plane at the gate I didn't think anyone would get out.
Not really a miracle. From what I understand, after some previous accident they implemented additional training for such an emergency. This really shows the importance of train, train, train!

Looks like the Dash 8 did not have permission to enter the runway, but to hold at a holding point. The A350 had permission to land.

"JAL516 RUNWAY 34 cleared to land," it states.
The Japan Airlines pilot repeats: "Cleared to land RUNWAY 34R".
The Coast Guard plane (JA722A) then contacts the control tower and is told to taxi to holding point C5.
It responds within 20 seconds, confirming the instructions: "Taxi to holding point C5 ...Thank you".
That's where communication ends.

I was just reading an article the other day on methods of preventing runway incursions. It is a serious problem.

Maybe.
Copilot on radio, he understands stop at hold line.
Pilot hears, incorrectly, "Taxi into position and hold".

My airline has a system RAAS. Its an aural callout, based off of GPS, that calls "Approaching runway XX". It is not based on the published airport diagram so It does not know anything about taxiways or hold spots. It's annoying, can block incoming radio transmission, but a last line of defense. By FAA decree, we are also required to have the airport diagram up on our iPads during all taxiing, it shows our GPS location on it, by company rules we have to have it up even outside the US. We also call "heads down" while taxiing when one of us is not looking outside.

I would say that runway incursions is not a serious issue, They do happen, but are rare, but
the consequences can be serious.

One other thing, Lets not jump to conclusions. Let the system work. Most likely this is a series of small mistakes/issues that led to this accident.

The ones who need to be commended here are the flight attendants. They got everyone off the plane with no preparation. Great job to them! This was a worst case situation for them.

Apparently there was a notam advising that the lights marking the end of the holding area were not working. Not an issue during the day, but at night......

The ones who need to be commended here are the flight attendants. They got everyone off the plane with no preparation. Great job to them! This was a worst case situation for them.
Not only the flight attendants, but the passengers themselves.

Perhaps I am being too cynical, but I can't help thinking that had the same thing occurred here in America the outcome would have been far different. The 'me first' culture so prevalent now would have seen anything but an orderly exit from that aircraft, with individuals pushing and shoving, paying no attention to those in charge, and others with their phones out trying to video the event for subsequent posting on the 'gram...

Not only the flight attendants, but the passengers themselves.

Perhaps I am being too cynical, but I can't help thinking that had the same thing occurred here in America the outcome would have been far different. The 'me first' culture so prevalent now would have seen anything but an orderly exit from that aircraft, with individuals pushing and shoving, paying no attention to those in charge, and others with their phones out trying to video the event for subsequent posting on the 'gram...
The article in the paper today made a point of this, that the evacuation was significantly sped up by passengers actually following the instruction to leave all carry on luggage behind. It went on to talk about people in previous evacuations delaying evacuation by grabbing bags from the overhead bins and then jumping on to the evacuation slides with roller bags on their chest. Eep.

The situational awareness to know which doors to open was also remarkable. The doors blocked by fire are relatively easy with a look out the window, but one of the engines was still turning with no way to turn it off.

I agree that the fact that the passengers and crew from the A350 all survived is amazing. Very sorry for the losses of the crew on the plane trying to help others, as they were trying to do a job and now their families are missing a loved one who cared enough to do that kind of job.

Tragic.

Back