Jamie and Peter Clay's Gemeni Joe

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfish

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Jamie and Peter launched this last weekend out at AeroPac's XPRS launch.

Screenshot_20230916_202609_Chrome.jpg
From Jamie:

Outside the sad ending, there are a few gems from the flight.

For example, have you ever wanted to ride a rocket directly into the Playa? Well now you can have that experience safely!

On Gemini Joe there was a Samsung Gear 360 that not only survived the crash but captured it on video. We theorize that the camera was ejected from the airframe upon impact.

Still sifting through the debris but one thing is for certain, the Capsule Section didn't fire either of its echarges. So even if the main had deployed for the airframe, the Joes were doomed! Doomed I tells ya.

Edited to just the flight

Unedited version (lots of filler)

What is the first motor that burns on the pad? It seems to burn out in place, and then something bigger lights, and it takes off.

Wow !

I watched these videos when Jamie posted them on the AeroPAC mailing list and I felt bad about Jamie crashing his rocket but I was wondering "why is that camera pointed straight up ? I see nothing but Sky then the impending doom when it came in hot."

I didn't know what a Samsung Gear 360 was and went to look it up when you posted here.

Then I noticed the control panel in the video frame where I could change the view angle of the camera !

Holy Cow !

That's the koolest thing I've seen in a while !!

I am sorry about the crash but what a kool gadget -- I am glad it survived !

Thanks for posting this @tfish !

-- kjh

p.s. I've been lurking on the AeroPAC lists for a while ( AP was one of the first local clubs I joined after I RE-BAR'd ).

Now I have finally something to say over there: THANKS, Jamie !

Last edited:
What is the first motor that burns on the pad? It seems to burn out in place, and then something bigger lights, and it takes off.
@ThirstyBarbarian --

I don't know what it was but ...

If you use the control in the upper left corner of the video frame to 'Roll Right' 180 degrees, you can see the tail of the rocket and you can kinda-sorta see what happened.

The punch line is left as an exercise for the audience ...

That Samsung Gear 360 is so Kool !

-- kjh

Last edited:
Wow !

I watched these videos when Jamie posted them on the AeroPAC mailing list and I felt bad about Jamie crashing his rocket but I was wondering "why is that camera pointed straight up ? I see nothing but Sky then the impending doom when it came in hot."

I didn't know what a Samsung Gear 360 was and went to look it up when you posted here.

Then I noticed the control panel in the video frame where I could change the view angle of the camera !

Holy Cow !

-- kjh

p.s. I've been lurking on the AeroPAC lists for a while ( AP was one of the first local clubs I joined after I RE-BAR'd ).

I looked and don't think Jamie or Peter hang out here on TRF. That's why I posted the flight here.

Tony

Wow !

Holy Cow !

-- kjh

I totally agree that the 360-degree video is badass! And if you put on headphones, the sound is incredible.

For some reason, when viewing on my iPad, the 360 feature works when I view it here on TRF, but doesn’t work at all and is distorted when I watch it on YouTube. I’m not sure why that is, but I’m really glad I saw it posted here.

Absolutely nutty flight to watch live. Jim Wilkerson has an awesome dusk shot of this project I'm sure he'll have on his XPRS photos.

@ThirstyBarbarian H-45's. I believe there were supposed to be 4, but only 1(?) lit.
@robopup --

I've looked at some of Jim's Photos after seeing his post on the AeroPAC mailing list.

Are your flights featured in Jim's gallery ?

If so, what day ?

Thanks Rob !

-- kjh

Were there actual "Joes" on the fligh

Yes and in some ways they faired better than the 3D printed capsule (not a huge shock) Here is a picture of the 'reconstruction'

The Team (Peter, Evan and myself) are having lunch on Friday and I'll compose a crash report that should help to prevent this from happening again.

Short story is that none of the Raven4 charges fired, and it's highly unlikely the Main RRC3 fired as well but I've not found the echarge for it yet.

Attachments

• Gemini Joe Debris.jpg
    Gemini Joe Debris.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here is a picture of the 'reconstruction'
Wow. That's a lot of pieces!! Good luck there with the crazy glue. Ok, there were Joes on-board, and frankly, they don't look any worse off than when I was 8 and did all kinds of goofy things to my Joes. They were tossed out of trees and dived underwater (anybody remember "The Seawolf"?), but what kills me is I pretty much gave all that stuff away and now I kinda miss it. But I have too much junk already, and at the rate I'm going, I will need a storage space just for all the rockets. My house isn't big enough....

Yes and in some ways they faired better than the 3D printed capsule (not a huge shock) Here is a picture of the 'reconstruction'

The Team (Peter, Evan and myself) are having lunch on Friday and I'll compose a crash report that should help to prevent this from happening again.

Short story is that none of the Raven4 charges fired, and it's highly unlikely the Main RRC3 fired as well but I've not found the echarge for it yet.

If you can’t find the one Joe’s head, and the other Joe has any permanent disability from his severed feet, maybe you can recruit Astronaut Barbie.

18CFE567-F33D-479B-AB41-13C3F3056455.jpeg

It was a show stopper. I tried to zoom in during flight but difficult to focus with the clear blue sky. Were you able to find enough kids to fill cups of debris from the playa?

Actually, Jake Hudson had a similar issue with his rocket. Both pyros didn't ignite the ejection charges. The NC did separate and deploy the rover but a wheel broke off at some point.

maybe next time trim the parts of the video that don't show anything. sorry.

Did you see my video? I at least got the take off and crowd reaction.

I hadn't seen this one (until yesterday) - thanks! Tracking can really be a challenge - I've a video from William Ferry that captures a lot of it, I'm trying to stabilize to make it easier to study.

Back