INSTRUCTIONS FOR BOB HARRINGTON NIKE X ROCKET

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp

Reaction score
I would like to build Bob Harrington's Nike X cardstock rocket.I copied the plans on cardstock,but am not sure on all the folds.This will be my first attempt with a cardstock model,I have built a DR.Zooch Saturn v,I know that's not alot of experience but can I get step by step instructions for this rocket from a build thread?Thanks.:confused:

That'll be a lot like the Bob Harrington Satellite Interceptor in its basics; Chris Michielssen blogged his build starting here: https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2012/05/carded-satellite-interceptor-build-part.html

And I referred to designs like that in making my Downscale Patriot, whose build is blogged here: https://richsrockets.wordpress.com/2013/09/10/patriot-downscale-build/

Between those and the Estes Nike X instructions here https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1270.htm you should be able to work it out.

Last edited:
Thank you for those sites.That will be a big help with my build.:cheers:

I would like to build Bob Harrington's Nike X cardstock rocket.I copied the plans on cardstock,but am not sure on all the folds.This will be my first attempt with a cardstock model,I have built a DR.Zooch Saturn v,I know that's not alot of experience but can I get step by step instructions for this rocket from a build thread?Thanks.:confused:

Rich gave a link to the first post, here's a link to all of the Satellite Interceptor posts from finish to start:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.mx/search/label/Satellite Interceptor

Most of it should be self explanatory, on my Sat. Int. blog build I talk about how to do the laminated fins.
Have fun with the build. If you mess up, print off another sheet.

Good luck with the build.

I originally just made all of those cardstock rockets for myself but people kept asking for copies of the files which I would send and they contained no instructions whatsoever.

Wayne then offered to just post all of them on his web site and I threw together some very basic instructions to be included.

All of them are built the same way so once you have built one, you have the techniques to build the rest.

Good luck with the build.

I originally just made all of those cardstock rockets for myself but people kept asking for copies of the files which I would send and they contained no instructions whatsoever.

Wayne then offered to just post all of them on his web site and I threw together some very basic instructions to be included.

All of them are built the same way so once you have built one, you have the techniques to build the rest.

Thank you Bob,I want to build something very light with 13mm motors that I can take to a park near by and launch when my year old grandson gets a little older.It just looks like a great time and they sure look good when finished in a small scale.

Thank you Bob,I want to build something very light with 13mm motors that I can take to a park near by and launch when my year old grandson gets a little older.It just looks like a great time and they sure look good when finished in a small scale.
Depending on the size of the park, you may want to only use 1/2A3-4T with those. They are extremely light and get good altitude. They are light enough where they really don't need much of a streamer but I put in a small one to help in locating them both in the air and on the ground.

I launched my Downscale Patriot on a 1/4A3-3T Saturday. I might not lose it on a 1/2A. But maybe I'll wait until I've used up the 1/4As before trying it.

I admit I didn't think in advance about finding the rocket on the ground, but the red streamer turned out to be a good idea if only for that purpose. Even in the short grass it was otherwise hard to spot.

Depending on the size of the park, you may want to only use 1/2A3-4T with those. They are extremely light and get good altitude. They are light enough where they really don't need much of a streamer but I put in a small one to help in locating them both in the air and on the ground.

Thank you,That is great advice.

I launched my Downscale Patriot on a 1/4A3-3T Saturday. I might not lose it on a 1/2A. But maybe I'll wait until I've used up the 1/4As before trying it.

I admit I didn't think in advance about finding the rocket on the ground, but the red streamer turned out to be a good idea if only for that purpose. Even in the short grass it was otherwise hard to spot.
T
I really like your Patriot might also build that one in the near future.

Before I start my build on the Nike X rocket,I thought I'd try a few Art Applewhite Saucers and the Fliskit Midnight Express.I made them all out of 80# cardstock.I think the Nike X will be out of 110#.I want a stronger cardstock as there is some bending in the Stealth.The Delta Flying Saucer Version 2.0 came out while not prefect,I thought was OK as this was the first time I worked with cardstock,then I built the Stealth Version 2.0.I want to thank Art Applewhite for the free downloads as well as Jim Flis for his free download of the Midnight Express,that I finished todayCardstock Rockets 001.jpgCardstock Rockets 002.jpg.I coated all three with Elmers glue all to stiffen the tubes and bodys.I'll look for the 110# cardstock this week.

I made my original Nike X out of 65# cardstock. The body tube is double thickness when rolled. The fins are glued to scrap cardstock and when dry, the two halves are glued together making them 4 ply total. The paper has a grain that allows it to bend easier in one direction than the other so I glue the fins cross grain when I glue them to the scrap. It probably doesn't make that much of a difference but I do it anyways.

The brand of 110# cardstock I had at the time (Hammermill, I believe) was stiff and hard to roll into 13mm tubes. I have since switched to Georgia Pacific brand 110# stock (found it at Walmart) and it seems easier to roll.

Last edited:
I made my original Nike X out of 65# cardstock. The body tube is double thickness when rolled. The fins are glued to scrap cardstock and when dry, the two halves are glued together making them 4 ply total. The paper has a grain that allows it to bend easier in one direction than the other so I glue the fins cross grain when I glue them to the scrap. It probably doesn't make that much of a difference but I do it anyways.

The brand of 110# cardstock I had at the time (Hammermill, I believe) was stiff and hard to roll into 13mm tubes. I have since switched to Georgia Pacific brand 110# stock (found it at Walmart) and it seems easier to roll.

I looked for it at Walmart yesterday and they did not carry any 110# cardstock.I'll have to look somewhere else.Thank you again.

I'm finishing up a cardstock Satellite Interceptor. Not sure, though, how much nose weight it needs. Anyone know where the center of pressure is? Or the center of gravity (with motor) for one that flies stably? I have a sim file for the Estes original and OR puts the CP right about at the forward end of the dorsal strake... sound right? It also shows the CG behind the CP without a motor installed, though, so I'm a tad suspicious.

Latest posts

Back