Importing Images to OpenRocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnmon88

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am putting together one of the new Madcow Rocketry 3" All-Fiberglass Super Batray rockets. At the same time I am trying to put all of the parameters from the rocket into the OpenRocket Software so I can get an accurate simulation. The problem that I am having is with the fin design. Because of its unique shape I am having a really hard time duplicating the design into O.R.! I have scanned a picture of one of the fins and tried using the "Import from Image" command, but it always tell me that "OpenRocket could not deduce the fin design from the image". How can I get the design into OpenRocket? I have saved the file as .png, .bmp, .tiff, .jpg, and .svg. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris

I've managed to do it...for me it seems to work better for something done in my paint program. what works; 1 bit colour, keep it small, (a 128 x 128 'fin' is about the right size for 3" tube). an example (ignore the 'cutout' OR does) left is forward, right is aft. hth
Rex

View attachment testfin.bmp

In addition to Rex's suggestions, make sure the root edge is truly at the bottom of the image - there can be no extra pixels in the image below the fin's root edge or the shape detection algorithm will fail. I've always had pretty good luck just using a thick lined outline (no fill) with the line being in black and the background in white.

If you still need help, post your scan. I'll try to clean it up and import it.

Cheers,
Doug

Hi Doug,

I would appreciate that so much. I am still trying to learn about this program so all help I can get would be great.

Batray Fin.jpg

View attachment batray.ork

Took a bit of manipulation but I was able to import it. It may not be quite exact but should be pretty close. You'll have to scale it to the correct size though. Double click on the fin, then on the Shape tab, you can scale the fin to size.

Doug

Thank you, Doug. I appreciate it. However, I have a small problem. When I open up FreeForm fins in OR and then click on Import from Image I get an error that says:

NullPointerException: null

Am I doing something wrong?

I've managed to do it...for me it seems to work better for something done in my paint program. what works; 1 bit colour, keep it small, (a 128 x 128 'fin' is about the right size for 3" tube). an example (ignore the 'cutout' OR does) left is forward, right is aft. hth
Rex

Rex, I tried your fin and it worked just fine. What paint program did you use?

Ah sorry. That file was an OR rocket design file with the fin already imported. I initially thought you could just modify that, but I should've just attached the modified image. Try this:

batfin3.jpg

Doug

I used 'Neopaint'(old program), windows paint works too.
rex

Back