I'm cooking today, are you?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlazarus6660

Reaction score
I'm cooking T-day dinner today.
How do you make your stuffing?
Homemade or store bought bread crums?
I just add onion and pork sausage, I forgot the celery this year.
Over baked turkey, mashed potatoes, butternut squash, turnip, peas with onions, rolls and jellied cranberry sauce.
A small feast.
Pumpkin pie with whip cream for dessert.

That sounds great!

I'm brining a turkey breast, using The Pioneer Woman recipe
https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/10/my-favorite-turkey-brine/

Mashed potatoes and gravy
Stuffing--I was all set to do homemade but my son requested a prepackaged multigrain stuffing with dried cranberries. Who am I to argue since there will only be three of us eating?
Broccoli with cheese sauce
Cranberries if I have time
Apple cream pie
Mulled cider

My only responsibility this year is dessert.

For that, I made a white chocolate cheesecake.

-Kevin

Personally I'm a huge fan of Stovetop stuffing. The from scratch stuff with the gizzards is OK but I'd just as soon have something from a box. On Friday, I'm going to do trash can turkey! For today, I'm stuck with my mothers excellent cooking.

No chance - Thanksgiving is a day to eat out, don't want to miss any football! (or rocket building time) (or rocket flying time) Will be hitting it all today!

Happy Thanksgiving Big "D"!!!!!!
Back in the day,me-self and Dad would make it from scratch.
We used a hand grinder.
Gizzards,celery and other things..spices,ect.
Today,Sandy is working and Im heading over to her brothers.Hes putting on the feed bag this year.
She wont make it there (bros) for dinner,but she'll will be there later.
I know today is a day to give Thanks,but, I do have to tell you,crystal clear BLUE skies and warm weather.
Sure would have been a good day to launch a few.
I spent part of the morning replaceing radiator hoses on the Dakota pick up.
The food hits the table at 1pm,so that puts the kaputs to any chance of launching rockets on this beautiful day.
Anywhoo, .........................................

I am working today, so we are having Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday. My dad is smoking a turkey over applewood that has been brined, treated with a dry rub and basted with cider and spices. I will be making sweet potato casserole topped with a pecan struessel. My wife is making something healthy, pan roasted broccolini. We also have homemade apple and pumpin pies and couple other sides too.

My wife did the dinner shopping at a discount food shopping store, Aldi's, ever here of it? European brands. Hence, my dinner is from Europe!

Happy T-day to you ScottyDog! Hope you have a good one too!
Thanks Dan.
One thing I forgot to mention, I messed up kinda sorta, every year at this time,I would go out to the garden and dig up some horse radish and carrots.
Ild make two batches,one just horse radish and the other a mix of horse radish and carrots.
WICKED GOOD and WOW,the fumes would kill ya.
Ill dig some up this weekend and make a couple batches.
Not a biggy that I didnt get-r done in time for today, today its all Sandys side of the family and thay are not into the HOTS anywhoo.
My side,OH YA,we grew up eating Dads home made horse radish.

Not me I'm going to my in-laws,my wifes been there for two days helping her mom(she has a broke foot).I'll see my mom Saturday.Long story short..I don't have to bring anything but an appetite.(We even keep toothbrushes over there,yea I used to be a boy scout)

Yup, cookin here today! Gonna be a great spread--the bird has about an hour to go--punkin pie is done as are the deviled eggs--the giblets are boiling as he speak--I'll pull the meat off the bone and make gravey from it--the girls get the other stuff--got crescent rolls , mashed taters and peas, a friend is bringing green bean casarole and something else--i forget---Oh yea the stuffing---stove top for me baby--2 bags of chicken and 1 bag of cornbread--cooked in the bird. Gotta work later so I'll go light on the vino---H

My only responsibility this year is dessert.

For that, I made a white chocolate cheesecake.

-Kevin

holly crap Kevin cooks :y: whoa whoa woha going to the grocery store isnt cooking.

I'm off the hook this year. wifes Brother and his new wife are taking over this year. otherwise it would be fire up the smoke pit and wood fire slow smoke a turkey and a Brisquit at no more than 220* for 12 - 14 hours

I have a 22 lb turkey that has been brined for about 72 hrs in Kosher salt, molasses and 5 or 6 big sprigs of rosemary. The drumsticks (I'm the only one that eats those) have roasted pureed garlic stuffed under the skin.

It's been roasting now for about 2 hours and has about 3hrs to go. The dressing is going in the oven now (no we do not stuff a turkey). Dressis is all home made.

Deserts were finished yesterday, cherry, apple, blueberry tarts and individual pumpkin pies.

The house is cleaned ready for company.

My all time favorite holiday!

National Fat America Day!

I'm getting hungry!

I'm going to potluck dinner.

I would love to have brought a casserole, or a big mess of cornbread. But the dishes have to be dairy and gluten free.

*SIGH*

I made up "pina colada" Jell-O cups (pineapple, coconut and lime gelatin, in layers), and am bringing a nice smoked salmon.

I'm cooking T-day dinner today.
How do you make your stuffing?
Homemade or store bought bread crums?
I just add onion and pork sausage, I forgot the celery this year.

My wife is a very tolerant woman, but she might divorce me for skipping the celery in the stuffing.

Bummer on the dairy and gluten free, Stefan. We have basically the same menu every year where I go so I never get to try new dishes out for that crowd. I do make a mean dinner roll. though.

I'm sending the guys out to see Skyfall this afternoon and we'll eat later tonight. I'd better get crackin' on the pie.

holly crap Kevin cooks :y: whoa whoa woha going to the grocery store isnt cooking.

The only way the grocery store was involved was in the acquisition of ingredients. Yesterday, it was 2lbs of creme cheese, a bottle of vanilla, 2lbs of chocolate, Oreos and some heavy creme.

If I would've had more time, I would've made cookies with which to make the cruts, but the cookie part of Oreos works in a pinch.

-Kevin

My apple pies were baked last night. This morning it's my wife's mashed cauliflower (substitute for mashed potatoes for those with starch issues) and just before we head over to her aunt's house we'll sauté 4lb of mushrooms. Going to be a big gathering today, 23 people or so. My wife's family plus some guests who are unable to be with their family this year.

My apple pies were baked last night. This morning it's my wife's mashed cauliflower (substitute for mashed potatoes for those with starch issues)/QUOTE]

That's a new one to me! What else do you put in it?

BTW, that is the only veggie I won't eat.

Started at 9:00 this morning with the dough for the apple and pumpkin pies, then moved on to the sausage and cornbread stuffing. Boiled 4 lbs of sweet potatoes for my Grand Marnier sweet potatoe casserole, then made the herb and apple stuffing. Went to prep the pies, and started working the pie dough, and it crumbled....argh, at is the risk of home made pastry, sometimes it just doesn't work...
To the store for refrigerated dough, came home and assembled the pies, and those are done now.

The boss of the house is only allowed in the kitchen to clean, otherwise we'd all die of food poisoning.....

Our adopted extended family (we adopted them after the daughter fell in love with the mom as her preschool teacher) is bringing the turkey, and the in-laws are bringing wine and cheap beer (which I will not drink).

Happy Thanksgiving all!

G.D.

I got to spend the whole day grouting tile at my grandmother's house! Family bonding time!

:rofl:

I have a 22 lb turkey that has been brined for about 72 hrs in Kosher salt, molasses and 5 or 6 big sprigs of rosemary. The drumsticks (I'm the only one that eats those) have roasted pureed garlic stuffed under the skin.

It's been roasting now for about 2 hours and has about 3hrs to go. The dressing is going in the oven now (no we do not stuff a turkey). Dressis is all home made.

Deserts were finished yesterday, cherry, apple, blueberry tarts and individual pumpkin pies.

The house is cleaned ready for company.

My all time favorite holiday!

National Fat America Day!

I'm getting hungry!

Sounds like quite an operation there...
I haven't tried a brined turkey - but thinking about it.
I did cook one upside down once and the white breast meat came out moist to perfection.

Got a turkey cooking now....basted and stuffed with a handful of herbs from my garden.
I've been doing Thanksgiving dinner pretty much like my parents did for years...
Except I dispensed with the frozen butterball a couple of years ago.
I've been getting whole fresh "free ranging/no additives" turkeys at Whole Foods.

Very tasty but hard to get enough stock to scratch make the gravy.

I also do not put the stuffing in the turkey any more.
The wife says it is a salmonella risk (the temperature needed to throughly cook the stuffing on the inside with all that natural raw juice will result in an overcooked dried out turkey).

Last edited:
Those of you who are brining--are the drippings too salty to make gravy with? I'm throwing this together at the last minute since we had to cancel out on the family meal. I was hoping to find turkey wings yesterday to make gravy with but the stores were out. I do have two drumsticks but that won't stretch far.

I'd be interested in the recipe for the Grand Marinier sweet potatoes!

BBQ ribs...
Roasted corn on the cob
Green Beans
Mashed potatoes
ANd homemade chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

Im in charge of eating.. that is my sole purpose in the holidays... my mother in law does the cooking...

Latest posts

Back