Ignitor Clip Alternative

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic idea! I forgot to mention "replacing trashed LPR clips on the club launch system" in the "Things I hate about the hobby" thread. I've seen the Wago connectors several times recently in model RR contexts but didn't manage to put 2 and two together. I've been meaning to try wire-wrapping extension leads onto Estes ignitors for a long time, could be a winning combination.

Interesting! I'd be curious to see photos after several launches to see how they hold up to exhaust...low, mid and high power

Please post in a few months about the longevity,

Being plastic I imagine that they would be easily damaged by the exhaust blast, particularly when using the low power igniters with very short leads.

So, do the long term testing and then get back to us.

Here is what they look like after a dozen launches with the short Estes ignitors, and many more with the longer composite mid power ignitors. (No high power, so far.) Not nearly as bad as my candle test. Just blackened a bit. No melting. Fully functional.

2023-06-25 15.38.38.jpg

2023-06-15 09.31.16.jpg

I am making up some leads to test: The Wago Connectors, Gold, Strainless, copper, and cheap Chinese knockoffs.

If they are put off to the side and not directly in the path of the exhaust I would think there would be little problems using them. Careful lead placement by the flyer probably can't be relied upon though. Will be good to see how long those ones last with different flyers using them.

... and just to slip in a cost-is-no-object potential option:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005001676694905.html?gatewayAdapt=Msite2Pc
or google "Titanium Atraumatic Tips Arterial vascular clamp"

will need minor adapting for wire attachment, but being Ti, should hold up to composite exhaust condensates better than... well... any of the typical options... in theory [caveats, disclaimers, flame jackets]

TP

Last edited:
An unexpected failure mode:

2023-07-14 10.24.31.jpg

The little levers have a narrow spot which is where they broke:

2023-07-14 10.24.58.jpg2023-07-14 10.25.09.jpg

The polycarbonate connectors do not have the same narrow spot, and may be more robust:

2023-07-14 10.26.19.jpg

The good news is that it is a quick and easy replacement.

Initial testing is complete. I need a little more time to gather data and do some more testing. There is a clear difference with Gold, copper, and stainless steel. I am torn on the plastic ones.

Ok, here is my results.

Gold (BU-60G)
Copper (BU-60C)
Stainless (BU-60X)
El Cheap Chineese
Polycarbonate Plastic Inline Connectors
Standard Plastic inline connectors

Value:
  1. El Cheaps: $0.24 a set of leads
  2. Stainless: $0.90 a set of leads
  3. Gold: $0.90 a set of leads
  4. Copper: $0.70 a set of leads
  5. Polycarbonate: $0.48 a set of leads
  6. Plastic: $0.46 a set of leads

Testing mechanism: I used 2 low power BP and 2 low power Composite motors on a set of 12 leads (2 each). That was 24 motors. I have found that if you sit them for 1-2 months between launches that the rust builds up and they become unusable (2-6 months). So what I did was expose them close to the motors in launch type situration to ensure the gasses hit them and then set them in a box for 30 days in my shed.

30 day results:
  1. The good: Gold, Copper, Stainless and two plastic ones are still usable. The plastic ones show varying degree of burns or black marks but are still usable.
  2. The Bad: El Cheapos are showing some rust but are still usable.
I am not sure how to show value. The el Cheapos are clearly cheaper buy I am sure they will wear out faster.

Next step - more time in the shed and I am going to make 12 sets of real leads to test in real launch conditions.

More to come.

Then that is not what I used. They were definitely not Nylon. The lever broke when users flipped them back. The enclosure is fine. I think it is a good idea, but our fliers need to be constantly reminded how to use them and tend to break the levers.

Last edited:
Then that is not what I used. They were definitely not Nylon. The lever broke when users flipped them back. The enclosure is fine. I think it is a good idea, but our fliers need to be constantly reminded how to use them and tend to break the levers.
Maybe use those as a quick disconnect, but have a pigtail with alligator clips. Then you could swap out the pigtails?​

Back