ignition using slivers of propellent

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben

Reaction score
I was looking at different cluster methods and I wondered how you kept a small sliver attached to an E-match? Just insert the head in it? I am using a small 1/2 piece not a "full round" sliver.

Ben

A piece of dental floss or thread wrapped many times seems to be the most accepted way.

Jason

or a very small dab or propellant...

Be sure that the e-match can light the sliver, I would test one...

a technique that has worked for me is getting ultra fine guage wire at the hardware store -- like 40 or so. It's basically metal hair...

Wrap it around the ematch 1/2 inch from the head, working up to the head. Insert the sliver of blue thunder (etc) and wrap it too.

Originally posted by dgreenapple
a technique that has worked for me is getting ultra fine guage wire at the hardware store -- like 40 or so. It's basically metal hair...

Wrap it around the ematch 1/2 inch from the head, working up to the head. Insert the sliver of blue thunder (etc) and wrap it too.

how nice! I have 100 feet of 40 AWG nichrome! I am wanting to do some 29mm and 38mm clusters and I want to use E-matches since I am running out of quickbursts!!

Ben

using a non-conductive pyrogen mix for that...

You can use it over and over but it dries out and works best when brand new so I would get the pack, get as many e-matches as you can and dip as many as you can... You can also dip nicrome wire igniters in it...

Dont use the conductive two part, the type I use comes as the magnesium watery substance and the oxidizer but after you mix it its a one part dip and dry system...

Back