Igniter Kit needed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
Well, my igniter mix has gone belly up after many years of good service, who are the leading contenders nowadays for igniter kit makers?

Johnnie

N3rd rocketry has a new kit. All you need is acetone. They even sell the chuter wires with the nichrome preinstalled
newtons3rdrocketry.com

I use firefox's 'LIQUID ELEMENT' primer and their pyrogen.

You just cut the wire flush, dip in the primer (which is conductive, so no birdgwire needed :surprised: ), let dry, and then dip them in the pyrogen mix. Also, just the primer makes a great ematch :)

They also have davyfire clone heads (no leup needed if you just buy heads and wire and dip them in pyrogen yourself),

firefox-fx.com

QuickBurst.

Use the Igniter Kit large or small, depending on your needs. Couple the kits with QuickDip and you have a winner.

Im not sure what good my opinion will be, as I haven't used a commercial Pyrogen in years. I have my own brew that works as good as any Ive used in past or seen. BUT in the past before that, I used The Stuff from Rocket Flight. They call theirs the Magnelite Pyrogen and it was always on the top of my favorites as well as others I know that used it. Ive also used some of the igniterman brand and it was pretty decent. I haven't used any Of David's from Quickburst But knowing what his products are like and his service from others tells me its probably quite good as well. About the only other one I haven't used Ive heard good about has been the stuff from N3rd. Those there would be the main ones I would point toward.

I recently got the QuickDip kit from QuickBurst and I am pleased with the results.

I have made igniters using wrapping wire from Radio Shack and nichrome that were small enough to be inserted into an Aerotech D13 after assembly and all the ones I tested and the ones I actually used worked perfectly.

https://blastzone.com/pml/components.asp?groupid=24

There's the URL for Public Missiles' igniter kit. I've never made my own igniters, but I am planning on getting a kit too, and I was considering this one. According to the website $30 worth of pyrogen makes ~900 igniters. That comes to about $0.33 per igniter + wire leads.

I use firefox's 'LIQUID ELEMENT' primer and their pyrogen.

You just cut the wire flush, dip in the primer (which is conductive, so no birdgwire needed :surprised: ), let dry, and then dip them in the pyrogen mix. Also, just the primer makes a great ematch :)

They also have davyfire clone heads (no leup needed if you just buy heads and wire and dip them in pyrogen yourself),

firefox-fx.com

I second that emotion!
Been using Firefox products for about a year now and am very pleased with them.
:pirate:

This weekend, Im going to my friends Pirotech meeting, (custom Fireworks LARGE ones) from what I understand there is a guy there that sales elec match kits, about $0.10-$0.15 a match. might check him out.

QuickBurst.

Use the Igniter Kit large or small, depending on your needs. Couple the kits with QuickDip and you have a winner.

I can vouch for Quickburst's igniters. Great stuff. Got one of my pesky motors going after it killed like four of my igniters!

I have used the Magnelite igniters from Rocketflite with good success. Easy to prepare and able to order online. Can go from small to as large as you like.

Used them in 16 cluster launches, and lit 77 out of 78 engines. The only failure was AP that had oxidation, sanded it off and lit the engine at the next launch.

Well, after looking over everyones suggestions, I have opted to go back with Magnelite from Rocket Flite...I just ordered a kit from PML.

Strange, I have been in BAR status since 1997, and this is my first order to PML...

Anyways, I have used Magnelite for well over six years, until my mix was just to crappy to work with...I don't know if I ever achieved 900 igniters, but I sure had a go at it.

Anyways, thanks guys, I sure appreciate the input.

Johnnie

Latest posts

Back