composite starter kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricmatch

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We have some exciting news to share with you regarding our release of a Composite Starter Kit, a result of our recent collaboration with Quickburst.

Initially, we had a non-regulated version for composite starters. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, our lead chemist, who had perfected a tweak for achieving a 100% firing rate, passed away, taking the crucial information with him. Despite a year of challenges, we've successfully overcome this setback and improved the product. However, the changes made required removing the non-regulated ruling we recievevd, making the kit the best option moving forward.

To learn more feel free to check out our website at: https://electricmatch.com/rocketry/see/51/6/composite-starter-kit.

If the chips are too big, You can trim them down, or cut them off completely and expose the copper leads. Make sure the leads do not touch, or are too far apart (hence why we supply them with the chip) as the mix is conductive.

Neat! Back when I tried making a conductive dip I always had some difficulty with leads that were either too close or too far apart. Using a chip is an ingenious way to address that problem.

One suggestion: six-foot leads seem a bit much for most motors. Eight inch leads are too short for any but the smallest motors and would require splicing wire to those leads. Two-foot leads might be a good compromise.

We have some exciting news to share with you regarding our release of a Composite Starter Kit, a result of our recent collaboration with Quickburst.

Initially, we had a non-regulated version for composite starters. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, our lead chemist, who had perfected a tweak for achieving a 100% firing rate, passed away, taking the crucial information with him. Despite a year of challenges, we've successfully overcome this setback and improved the product. However, the changes made required removing the non-regulated ruling we recievevd, making the kit the best option moving forward.

To learn more feel free to check out our website at: https://electricmatch.com/rocketry/see/51/6/composite-starter-kit.

If the chips are too big, You can trim them down, or cut them off completely and expose the copper leads. Make sure the leads do not touch, or are too far apart (hence why we supply them with the chip) as the mix is conductive.
These look great, @electricmatch !

EDIT: Dooh !! I need to work on my reading skills !!

I will fly many G -to- I motors for each J or K motor and I am curious about 'how low can I go' ...

What are the initial dimensions of the chips ?

EDIT: The chips are .15"/3.8mm width

Thank you for thinking of us !

-- kjh

View attachment 617751

What if we include 1 of these with 3 foot of wire attached. You could reuse these and just attached the 8" composite starter?

Many motors are longer than 8", and the starter needs to go all the way up to the top.

2' or 3' would be a good option to have, because 8" only works for small short motors.

I have been trying to fly a 3 motor cluster. Can only ever get 2 to light together and of course it goes sideways then. Would these give me a better chance at all 3 going off at the same time? Thanks.

I have been trying to fly a 3 motor cluster. Can only ever get 2 to light together and of course it goes sideways then. Would these give me a better chance at all 3 going off at the same time? Thanks.
Let me experiment with this. They would have to be in parallel, as series would require them using bridgewires, and they do not.

View attachment 617751

What if we include 1 of these with 3 foot of wire attached. You could reuse these and just attached the 8" composite starter?
Bottom line - that's not going to work.

In the situation where the extra length was necessary those would be inside the motor (assuming they'd pass through the nozzle) or just outside the nozzle and in the exhaust plume. Not going to be able to reuse those assuming I could even find them after firing the motor. Honestly, I'd rather solder a length of solid copper wire (23ga twisted pair) to end of the 8" leads. I've done this successfully many times before to extend e-matches used for ejection charges when I needed a longer wire. Never done it for a motor starter but don't see why it would not work. The ideal situation would be to offer longer starter leads. 2ft long would be a significant improvement over 8in. I'd gladly pay for the cost of the extra wire (within reason) as opposed to the pain of having to solder an extension onto the lead.

Bottom line - that's not going to work.

In the situation where the extra length was necessary those would be inside the motor (assuming they'd pass through the nozzle) or just outside the nozzle and in the exhaust plume. Not going to be able to reuse those assuming I could even find them after firing the motor. Honestly, I'd rather solder a length of solid copper wire (23ga twisted pair) to end of the 8" leads. I've done this successfully many times before to extend e-matches used for ejection charges when I needed a longer wire. Never done it for a motor starter but don't see why it would not work. The ideal situation would be to offer longer starter leads. 2ft long would be a significant improvement over 8in. I'd gladly pay for the cost of the extra wire (within reason) as opposed to the pain of having to solder an extension onto the lead.
Currently, we have 6-foot wires in our inventory. However, in our pursuit of aligning our products with market demands and optimal usability, it's essential to get feedback like this. I also want to delve into the research that informed the decision to use 8-inch wires. It could have been the bp motors we have sold product for in the past.

Currently, we have 6-foot wires in our inventory. However, in our pursuit of aligning our products with market demands and optimal usability, it's essential to get feedback like this. I also want to delve into the research that informed the decision to use 8-inch wires. It could have been the bp motors we have sold product for in the past.
Yeah - if you're primary experience is with end-burning motors like the Estes BP ones, that would make sense. But 8 inches isn't going to go to far (pardon the pun) with the composites. How much testing has been done on these with composites?

Yeah - if you're primary experience is with end-burning motors like the Estes BP ones, that would make sense. But 8 inches isn't going to go to far (pardon the pun) with the composites. How much testing has been done on these with composites?
The formula to light composites has been proven years ago. We have another kit coming, that will use our 3 foot bp starters as a base, so they should have no issues.

What size motors are these intended for? They seem to be sized for mid power motors, which could lead to issues with fitting through the nozzle throat on a good number of motors.

What size motors are these intended for? They seem to be sized for mid power motors, which could lead to issues with fitting through the nozzle throat on a good number of motors.
from another customer:
got my order, they look nice, but will not go into nozzle of econo max
e30 or F44's. How can I trim them without shorting them out? Thanks.
You can cut the chip at an angle where it meets the wire. They are .15" by the wire standard.

Attachments

• cut chip composit.jpg
    cut chip composit.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 0
Back