Ignighting FSI F100's? Any Ideas?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWmarlow

Reaction score
Iv'e got a loose F100-0 that will be used in a scratch BP two stage F100 to E 12...I have no loose FSI Ignitors....Ignitor type and placement seem to be critical to avoid a CATO....anyone got any ideas?

Whatever igniter you use, you want the motor to ignite near the nozzle. If you ignite at the top of the core you will over pressure the motor.

Oh, and don't forget to give your rocket a good bye kiss :)

Iv'e got a loose F100-0 that will be used in a scratch BP two stage F100 to E 12...I have no loose FSI Ignitors....Ignitor type and placement seem to be critical to avoid a CATO....anyone got any ideas?

Find an 'old guy' and see if he has any thermalite. That was the trick back in the day. I still have two in inventory I'm saving for a really special occasion and that's how I lite 'em.

Whatever igniter you use, you want the motor to ignite near the nozzle. If you ignite at the top of the core you will over pressure the motor.

.., one way or another it's going to put on a show!

+1 on what Jim said...I made the mistake of using a Firestarter igniter stuffed all the way the nozzle...the motor blew, but ignited the sustainer, but it was pretty toasty :)

here is vid...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn8DfFikzro

Ive got some sure shots...maybe two wicks?. or should one be enough?

I use a couple of hundred of those motors back in the late 60's and early 70's. I did not ever use the FSI ignitors/ fuses. I bought e-matches and pushed them all the way in. I never had an issue. I hope this helps.

Back