I landed my TVC Rocket! Second ever model rocket landing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is very very cool, congrats!

I really like your gymbal, any details on how you constructed it? Also, how did you determine how much of a gimbal angle you needed?

edit: i was looking into this too a long time ago and i remember reading about a technique to control some of the thrust of those model motors by sliding a sleeve up and down the motor case and over the nozzle. You're basically changing the expansion geometry and iirc you can make it so inefficient that you can kind of throttle the motor. Can't remember by how much though.

Last edited:
1) Wow. Well done.
2) Welcome to our little forum family.
3) Wow.
4) You look quite young. College? Recent grad? High school?
5) Are you familiar with BPS.Space and it's proprietor, Joe Barnard? Who am I kidding, of course you are.
6) WOW!

Oh, and...
7) If you can write this as an article, there is zero doubt in my mind that Sport Rocketry will be happy to pay for it.

Oh, darn, one more "one more thing":
8) Perhaps you don't need to use the same motors for ascent and descent. You might look into using a high impulse, medium thrust, long burn motor for ascent (perhaps Aerotech G12) then an Estes F15 for descent. I'm sure there are many things to consider if you, um, consider that. Right off the bat there's the fact that, falling from a greater height, the rocket will be moving faster when the descent motor lights and will have more time to pitch over toward horizontal. But if it weren't hard, it wouldn't be fun.
1687280217310.png

Last edited:
that is very very cool, congrats!

I really like your gymbal, any details on how you constructed it? Also, how did you determine how much of a gimbal angle you needed?

edit: i was looking into this too a long time ago and i remember reading about a technique to control some of the thrust of those model motors by sliding a sleeve up and down the motor case and over the nozzle. You're basically changing the expansion geometry and iirc you can make it so inefficient that you can kind of throttle the motor. Can't remember by how much though.

I used onshape to do the 3d model and then used my prusa mini to print. Servos are ES08MDII. I got as much gimbal range as I could, but I knew from prior rockets anything more than +-4 degrees would be enough so I didnt worry about it too much.

1) Wow. Well done.
2) Welcome to our little forum family.
3) Wow.
4) You look quite young. College? Recent grad? High school?
5) Are you familiar with BPS.Space and it's proprietor, Joe Barnard? Who am I kidding, of course you are.
6) WOW!

Oh, and...
7) If you can write this as an article, there is zero doubt in my mind that Sport Rocketry will be happy to pay for it.

Oh, darn, one more "one more thing":
8) Perhaps you don't need to use the same motors for ascent and descent. You might look into using a high impulse, medium thrust, long burn motor for ascent (perhaps Aerotech G12) then an Estes F15 for descent. I'm sure there are many things to consider if you, um, consider that. Right off the bat there's the fact that, falling from a greater height, the rocket will be moving faster when the descent motor lights and will have more time to pitch over toward horizontal. But if it weren't hard, it wouldn't be fun.
View attachment 587511

Thanks! I am going into junior year in high school - good idea about Sport Rocketry! Ill look into that, thanks for letting me know...

That would be a very interesting project - I think for sure it would need to be 2 stage as fitting those types of motors into one gimbal system would be a mechanical nightmare. Thanks for the nice comment!

Back