How to remove a burned motor liner from an AT 75/5120 tube?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambatterman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi HPR gang. I have a real problem. I have a liner from an L2200 that I burned in a 75/5120 casing. The forward and rear closures came off easy, but the liner seems adhered to the casing on the inside. Does anyone know of any solvents, soaking, tooling or black magic to remove these things? Thanks.

Hi HPR gang. I have a real problem. I have a liner from an L2200 that I burned in a 75/5120 casing. The forward and rear closures came off easy, but the liner seems adhered to the casing on the inside. Does anyone know of any solvents, soaking, tooling or black magic to remove these things? Thanks.
If done right away they usually slide out by pushing on the nozzle. Not without resistance though.
If that doesn’t work I have sprayed WD-40 along the liner edge and allowed it to soak on. A heavy dowel hammered against the nozzle will then usually start it moving. I carry a dead blow hammer for such efforts.
Worse case you might have to sharpen a wooden dowel and use it to begin chipping the liner out.
The good news is that even though some are harder than others to remove, I’ve never seen one that couldn’t be removed.

Several threads about this, you should be able to find some info via search. I think most of the ideas have been covered above.

Sitting the motor case in the sun can help if you greased the liner.

Heat the motor casing in a 200-250F oven, then while wearing hot gloves remove the casing and set it upright on a wood surface, with the nozzle end down. Insert the seal disk backwards into the forward end of the motor, and try to push the liner aft. If need be, use a short length of 2x2 and a plastic dead blow hammer to apply additional force.

Alan Whitmore's method is what I consider the easiest. Too detailed to write it up here. I can explain it by phone if you have the time. Message me for phone number or leave me yours. Trust me it works. no chipping, solvents or heat needed. Or hammers.

get a cheap piece of aluminum channel from HD/Lowes
cut 1 inch off the sides
sharpen the sides
insert the tongue between liner and casing
hammer the channel, you'll cut a strip out of the liner. if that doesn't work, rotate 180 degrees and cut again. it will pop out then, for sure.

always use the cheap channel because it's a softer aluminum then what cases are made of. In this case, cheaper is actually better!

I always coat the outside of the liner with Superlube “O” ring grease and have never had one that didn’t just slide out..
That's exactly what I didn't do - and I won't make that mistake again. Glue the grains together AND grease the liner. Key take away. :)

Back