How to get a teen interested in rocketry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure it'll help with rocketry interest, but - LOSE THE PHONE, period.

Worst thing to happen to kids ( and adults )....

AL

don't have one, never will, don;t need it.....

Phones are great. They are the Swiss Army Knife of products. The trick is to not be consumed by their allure, and just use them as a tool to make things better.

Cuts like a knife - No.

Has scissors - No.

Corkscrew - Get serious. See below.

Toothpick? - No.

Tweezers? - Hell, no.

Saws wood - Yes, the screen you broke trying to use your phone as a hammer to open a bottle can be used to cut small twigs.

One of the local members has a teen son. We'd really like to get him more interested in rocketry. He gets drug along to launches, but all he does is sit in the car and play video games on his phone. He's got kits to build, but no interest. I suggested building a kit and letting him paint/decorate it. Other ideas? Or is this just another windmill, Pancho?
My son was 11 when I got back into the hobby. I used to let him invite his friends, but eventually I ran into the same thing. They all sat in the van and played video games, then wanted to eat at Taco Bell.

From what I see (as a teen/ almost an adult/ technically an adult), is in high school, people are just busy, especially because standards are so high for HS kids now. You have to always be involved in 2 or more sports, or some kind of national society of something. But people either can’t get their minds past little Estes stuff, but once you show them the HPR stuff they say it’s cool, and I think the next step would be to bring them to a large launch or something. I've actually had some friends express that they want to go out to a launch, but since our local season is over it's much harder to do. And there are no large local areas that I could set up a small HPR launch (with proper paperwork)/ even if I could, I don't have the launch equipment.

So my advice would be, if it's your own child/grandchild bring them to a launch, and maybe try and fund it for them a little bit so they can move and afford to fly the larger stuff, because that what people think is cool, and it will keep them engaged. And of you have a local club, spread the word around your neighborhood or something, leave your biggest rocket outside, leave a flyer for the launch. I dont really know, just thinking out loud.

Back