How powerful are sugar rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try to go to my local hobby lobby and get some motors, can the motors be launched as just motors? Or does it need an actual body?
Do not attempt to launch a rocket without an aerodynamically stable airframe, a properly-designed electric launch control system, and a launch pad. 65 years of rocketry experience has taught us the necessity of this equipment, sometimes the hard way.

As others have said, when you are getting started, the best way is to buy a starter set that includes a rocket or two, and a launch pad and launch controller. And while you are at the store, buy a couple packs of motors, some extra igniters, and some ejection wadding. For motors, look at the packaging for the starter set or rocket kit, and it will tell you the recommended motors. Start with the one they say is right for the first flight.

Don’t start out trying to improvise with things like using TP instead of wadding (you will start a fire), making your own launch pads and launch controllers (probably not going to work well), or using fuses or anything else other than factory igniters or a real launch controller to light the motors (not safe and probably illegal). Doing it right will teach you what you are dealing with and give you some experience you can use in the future if you want to branch out.

If you do eventually get into experimental motors, I can almost guarantee you that parks and schools are not going to give you permission to fly them there. Getting permission to fly ordinary commercial kits and motors is hard enough. If you ask permission to fly a homemade sugar motor, you probably won’t get it. Homemade motors might be fun and maybe affordable, but you are probably restricted to Tripoli research launches if you want to do it legally. Or if you own your own large rural property, you might get away with it there. Just don’t burn the place down or frag yourself with shrapnel — it gives the hobby a bad name!

Wow. Based on your questions, I strongly recommend you not do anything related to hobby rocketry!

Seriously! WTF.
Valid questions. I’m sure we all wondered what the absolute limits of minimalism were at some point. Don’t let your experience blind you to the experience of the newcomer.

They were all answered adequately here, anyway, and it sounds like the intent to actually fly is strong. Our duty at this point is to provide appropriate guidance and make that a rewarding experience. In this specific situation, snark accomplishes nothing for maintaining safety.

Wow. Based on your questions, I strongly recommend you not do anything related to hobby rocketry!

Seriously! WTF.
Everyone starts at a different place. He saw something on YouTube and was interested. I’m grateful he came here for advice rather that possibly maiming himself and giving rocketry another negative poster child.
As long as he resets his expectations and starts by getting a starter set and some small commercial motors he should be safe.

OP has moved on to the Mid Power Rocketry (MPR) forum. He really wants to put a letter on those Grant Thompson "bombs".

I imagine most of you guys have seen Grant Thompson's (r.i.p.) sugar rocket video from 7 years ago. How powerful are the rockets? What Letter would they classify on? F? G?
The King of Random video, along with almost all other Youtube videos on the subject are terrible. He shows a very outdated method of making motors, and does so in an unsafe manner.

Sugar motors can be made well, but it will require a lot more work and research than that video implies. Some members of this forum regularly fly up to L and M class sugar motors reliably.

Everyone starts at a different place. He saw something on YouTube and was interested. I’m grateful he came here for advice rather that possibly maiming himself and giving rocketry another negative poster child.
As long as he resets his expectations and starts by getting a starter set and some small commercial motors he should be safe.
found a nice Estes kit, would this work?
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...kets/Quix-Model-Rocket-Starter-Kit/p/80959024

Seriously! WTF.
Wow. Based on your reaction to someone whose only source was a 7 year old video from a dead man, I strongly recommend you do not continue to gatekeep anything related to hobby rocketry!

Seriously! WTF.

That’s about perfect. I can’t think of anything wrong with it.

EDIT: Depending on what motors it comes with, you may want to think about down-powering it. With one of the recommended motors being a 1/2A3-4T, I think a 1/4A3-3T may also work. Less power on the first flight means less chance it gets lost.

Then upgrate to 1/2A or full A power if you think you’re up to the challenge.

Good luck!

should I use the motors that come with it?
You can and probably will. Nothing wrong with it.

You’ll find that everyone has their own set of practices that work for them. I like getting my rockets back reliably but somebody who’s just wowed by rocket-powered flight and doesn’t care about recoverability will do it differently. “Underpower the thing on the first flight so I can determine its flight and recovery characteristics, then increase power if I’m convinced recovery is feasible” works well for me, but plenty of others ram A motors or larger into rockets this size and that works for them.

You can and probably will. Nothing wrong with it.

You’ll find that everyone has their own set of practices that work for them. I like getting my rockets back reliably but somebody who’s just wowed by rocket-powered flight and doesn’t care about recoverability will do it differently. “Underpower the thing on the first flight so I can determine its flight and recovery characteristics, then increase power if I’m convinced recovery is feasible” works well for me, but plenty of others ram A motors or larger into rockets this size and that works for them.
I dont know what motors it comes with, but I might update with some specs if I dont forget.

If money is tight, then I absolutely do not recommend getting involved with experimental (sugar or APCP) motors just yet. Get the hang of rocketry first and use commercial motors. The kits and starter sets you've mentioned are a great start.

Motor cases to assemble your motor grains in are the biggest expense and you need to be prepared if they get damaged during the learning curve. I started with research BP motors (Not allowed at Tripoli launches) and I was well over $400 for my first functional 1/2" "B" type motor. Once you have motors dialed in, they can be cheaper, but getting there is a hobby all by itself.

Last edited:
If money is tight, then I absolutely do not recommend getting involved with experimental (sugar or APCP) motors just yet. Get the hang of rocketry first and use commercial motors. The kits and starter sets you've mentioned are a great start.

Motor cases to assemble your motor grains in are the biggest expense and you need to be prepared if they get damaged during the learning curve. I started with BP motors (Not allowed at Tripoli launches) and I was well over $400 for my first functional 1/2" "B" type motor. Once you have motors dialed in, they can be cheaper, but getting there is a hobby all by itself.
Research BP is not allowed at Tripoli launches, commercial BP like Estes are allowed.

I also care a lot about recovery because I dont have much money, and i wont pay 30 dollars for one single launch

You're getting ground support for that price as well, the pad and launcher could be used for years. Be aware that this can be addictive and you may soon be selling plasma to get more rockets!

Do you already have a launch site?

what can I use instead of pvc though? just asking

Grant Thompson was a relatively experienced rocketeer before he started working on DIY sugar motors. It’s a good idea to follow that path. There’s a lot to learn, and it’s a fun journey. So start with commercial stuff and then work your way into motor-making.

Now to your PVC question…we really don’t like PVC because it can shatter. I’ve made hundreds of dry-packed sugar motors like the ones in Thompson’s videos. I even do it as an activity for middle school science camps. I have had good luck using 3/4” polyethylene tubing instead of PVC. You can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes in the irrigation section. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Silver-Line-Plastics-3-4-in-x-2-ft-160-PSI-Plastic-Coil-Pipe/1000170901

Thompson’s design using kitty litter nozzles is pretty safe from explosions because the nozzle just blows out if there is any over-pressure problem. And the polyethylene tubing is lightweight and non-brittle so it won’t shatter. But the biggest safety concern with Thompson’s sugar motors (after replacing the PVC) is his use of cannon fuse for ignition. These motors often blow out their nozzles which can lead to “less than vertical” flights. You really want to ignite them remotely with an Estes-style launch controller. I also use e-matches instead of Estes igniters. The Estes ones may work—I just haven’t tried them.

That said, start with commercial rockets and motors. You are getting great advice here.

Last edited:
Back