How much sandpaper do you use?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poke44

Reaction score
I am new to sanding and at least seem to use lots of sandpaper. Just now I sanded a Big dady and a Tomahawk D and it used up one 8x11 sheet of 320 paper.

Also my local Lowes stopped carrying 400 grit and now carry 320. Though the ace hardware across town has some all the way up to 1500 grit. Is 320 smooth enough for finishing if i am not worried about about being a showroom model rocket :)

I go thru plenty. I try to buy the 12 or 20 packs of several grits. I use 100, 220, 400, and even higher if I need to get scratches out of plastic, or want to really smooth my primer coat prior to painting. I have not seen 320 in awhile, but I'd add that to my supply, too.

Invest in a pair of "sandpaper only" scissors to cut up the sheets. I will cut a sheet into a variety of sizes, depending on the job.

I have also used 80 grit if I am taking off a lot of balsa. For example, I had a balsa nose cone that I wanted to flatten on one side. I was making a cone for a fighter-style rocket, and giving the cone a unique profile. After the rough size, I switched to 100, then 220, and so on.

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, they sell packs of sandpaper pretty cheap. I actually prefer the Norton brand at Home Depot, and I'm sure whatever Lowe's has is similar in quality and price.

I use 100, 220, 340, 400, 600, 800, & 1500 for all sorts of different applications. I tend to lean towards 3M who has a style that doesn't clog and seems to last forever.

I also invested in Great Planes (r/c aircraft) sanding bars. Worth their weight in gold, as they don't bend and cover large areas. They also have a bar that has various angles and is awesome for doing leading and trailing edges on fins.

I use the Norton 3x from Home Depot, mostly the 400 grit. It's pretty expensive , but worth it IMO. They claim it last 3 times longer than regular paper, and I tend to believe it. I just noticed they started carrying the 3X 320 when I went to buy another pack of 400 the other day. I started to get it, but didn't. I've had good luck with the 400 so I stuck with that. It's good all around grit for sanding balsa, primer/paint. I've used 3M 320 and it's not bad, but I like the softer touch of the 400. I use 220 for rounding fins, shaping balsa, tough glue spots, then follow up with 400. 3M is ok too.

The Harbor freight paper is terrible. I tried using a sheet of that and burned through a sheet in nothing flat. The abrasive literally falls off the paper with the slightest pressure. I've got a whole pack that I'll probably never use, good thing it was cheap. Maybe I'm spoiled by the Nortons.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. Cheap paper will not last any time at all. Good paper is worth every penny IMO.

You'd never hear Tim on Tooltime say that!

You sure you're not getting mixed up with Charmin?

If I get toilet paper mixed up with sandpaper, I'm in big trouble!:lol: *ouch*
Although, I've encountered some TP that came pretty darn close!:cry::rotflol:

The Norton 3x paper is definitely worth it. I use mainly 320 or 400 for finishing, and a little piece will last forever.

between my HPR and MPR builds I use enough sandpaper and sanding discs that somewhere there is a girl in a bikini laying on stone...:rotflol:

I've found that if you beat your sanding block with a paint stirrer stick to get most of the dust out, the paper lasts longer

boy, that sounded dirty didn't it?

but it does work

Ok some tips that i've learned from woodworking/turning,
most sandpaper has some pieces that are larger than what should be on it, rap it against a sharp edge of a piece of sheet metal.
To unclog sandpaper, rap it against your jeans and most of the dust comes out.

If I get toilet paper mixed up with sandpaper, I'm in big trouble!:lol: *ouch*
Although, I've encountered some TP that came pretty darn close!:cry::rotflol:

Amsterdam airport -- 20 years ago. Wanted to bring back a roll. Thought of a great business opportunity -- import their TP for sandpaper, sell them our TP and make a fortune.

Stuff in Germany was marginally better, and had a odd gray color. Maybe newprint?

:p

I have sanded the paint & primer off of 74" X 5.5" of airframe, including fins, with 1-sheet (8 X 11) of sandpaper using my 1/3 sheet sander...nosecone is next!

Johnnie

Thats called John Wayne TP!

Rough as sandpaper and doesnt take S@@@ of anybody!

the paper i used tonight was different, normally i used 3m but father got me some 320 gatorgrip garnet sandpaper. Also could it be that the primer, el cheapo wally world grey primer, wasnt quite dry and clogged up paper or is garnet paper bad to use.

Primer was probably not fully cured(dry), I use the W*M brand primer all the time and have yet clog the sandpaper...

Thats called John Wayne TP!

Rough as sandpaper and doesnt take S@@@ of anybody!

the paper i used tonight was different, normally i used 3m but father got me some 320 gatorgrip garnet sandpaper. Also could it be that the primer, el cheapo wally world grey primer, wasnt quite dry and clogged up paper or is garnet paper bad to use.

Many of the newer primers do take longer to fully cure. I've even noticed that Kilz will clog paper for me if sanded same day, but if I wait a few days, it sands easily. The lacquer primers dry really fast, but are harder to find. I've found that I can live with the newer primers, I just do not try to get multiple coats done, all sanded between coats, in one day.

I order various grits from https://www.klingspor.com/--their prices aren't bad, and the quality is pretty good. They have dry and wet-sand papers available. I found out about Klingspor years ago off rmr (when you could still get pretty good info there)

edit: they had odd-sized belts for an old belt sander I got from my dad so that made it even better!

Poke44:
I go through tons of sandpaper. usually have 9"x 11" sleeves of everything from 60 to 600grit and half sheet sleeves of some of the finer 800 to 2000girt and finer polishing papers and Microsand kits for removing scratches form clear plastics and other mirror finishing.
Generally 320 is about as fine as is really needed for a very nice painted finish;)

a-sm_9 x 11 sandpapers & fine scotchbrite pad_07-21-05.jpg

I go through 8-14 1x1 squares (I cut them into small squares for easier use and to conserve sandpaper...I'm cheap) per build on average.

I have raided construction sites after the drywall guys have finished their thing, and collected all of the drywall sanding sponges.

6736516.jpg

These things last forever, and conform very well to contoured and rounded surfaces...
Johnnie

The Norton 3x paper is definitely worth it. I use mainly 320 or 400 for finishing, and a little piece will last forever.

That's the yellow stuff, right? I love that stuff (220) and use it almost exclusively, regardless of what grit might otherwise be advisable. Exception: first pass on really rough stuff, in which case I use cheap 150 paper and an electric sander.

That's the yellow stuff, right? I love that stuff (220) and use it almost exclusively, regardless of what grit might otherwise be advisable. Exception: first pass on really rough stuff, in which case I use cheap 150 paper and an electric sander.

Yep, it's yellow. Only 3 sheets or so in a regular sized pack, but a small piece will last a good while. It's pretty much all I'll use now.

I go through tons of sandpaper when finishing a rocket. 320 is ok, I use it quite a bit, but I prefer 400. I usually take a sheet (9x11 or whatever the exact dimension is) and cut it into 12 pieces (roughly 3x3). I've found I can be the most economical with may sandpaper usage that way.

Back