How do you store your motor tubes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banzai88

Lvl 2, Wallet..even more destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've mostly bought used motor tubes, here and on Ebay. The only new one that I got was a CTI 29mm 3g, and it came in a cardboard tube.

Where do you get those mesh sleeves or the clear tubes that everyone seems to have?

What do you all store your motor tubes in?

I assume that you're talking about motor cases. In which case, I'd suggest taking a look here: https://rail-buttons.com/casecovers.html

Not sure what other distributers may be selling these, but I feel the prices there are pretty darn reasonable.

I've bought the two smaller sized, and feel that the product quality is quite high.

Keep my 38's in various zip-loc bags... The longer cases I have to search awhile before I find a suitable bag. I'll definitely be checking out the site that MCriscione recommends...

I have the case covers from Rail-buttons.com and they are great. I actually store the smaller motor cases inside the larger ones. It saves a ton of room. I also have clear plastic tubes that I ordered from McMaster Carr (similar to the ones that CTI uses) that I also store cases in. I label the tube so I know what cases are in the tube.

image.jpgI use brute storage containers. They come in a variety of sizes and they are tough.

Cool, thanks.

I have the case covers from Rail-buttons.com and they are great. I actually store the smaller motor cases inside the larger ones. It saves a ton of room. I also have clear plastic tubes that I ordered from McMaster Carr (similar to the ones that CTI uses) that I also store cases in. I label the tube so I know what cases are in the tube.

Good plan.

That! Thanks!

I use the 1/32" wall, very nice tubes, I thought well worth the money up to 54mm. anyway. Get to 3"and up, pretty expensive. The caps are pretty tight fighting, need to poke a small hole in one to relieve air pressure.

I just throw mine in a cardboard box with my (unopened) reloads. I also have my Chute Release and all my paperwork in the same box. Closures are in my plastic organizers.

Okay, I admit, my one and only 75mm hardware set is in the clear tube that it comes in.

I assume that you're talking about motor cases. In which case, I'd suggest taking a look here: https://rail-buttons.com/casecovers.html

Not sure what other distributers may be selling these, but I feel the prices there are pretty darn reasonable.

I've bought the two smaller sized, and feel that the product quality is quite high.

I use these as well, but mostly because I thought it was a neat idea, and I was ordering buttons, so threw a bunch in my cart.

I have two drawers in my toolbox that are foam lined using pick and pluck foam, one drawer for 24mm (3 and 6 grain cases) and 29mm (1, 2 , 3 and 4 grain cases) the other drawer holds all the 38mm cases (2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 grain) All the 54mm cases are in a milk crate. All but one of my cases are still in the plastic tube the came in from CTI. All reloads go in a plastic storage tub that holds up to 5 grain 38mm loads. Anything bigger I usually buy on site and fly that day.
I really like Jim's method with the rifle cases. Probably my next purchase for all but the 98mm stuff.

plano cases are decent for 29 and 38. I'm working on a solution for 54mm.

9360712361_5442a7a8b5_z.jpg

I bought a bunch of the Mesh tube many years ago and sold it on here and other places. My cases are in an aluminum sample case. 100_1325..50..jpg

I got some clear tupperware containers, and cut foam as to give each motor case a slot. I'll run out to my shop in a bit and grab a pic. Every single case, except for my 38/1200, has a slot in foam that holds it in tightly. Same for every closure and nozzle. :)

In a large plano box nested within one another to save space. I do not see the need to keep the exterior finishes pristine with the mixture of new and used cases that I have.

zip lock bags , mesh socks and cardboard boxes I even have a couple stored in corn fields

my mesh socks are from rail buttons like posted above

zip lock bags , mesh socks and cardboard boxes I even have a couple stored in corn fields

my mesh socks are from rail buttons like posted above

I literally LOL'ed about the outdoor storage- I was "storing" a CTI 6g 29mm outside safely in the middle of the Tucson desert myself, and yet someone somehow found it and returned it to me! You guys with your pick'n'pluck and tactical cases are amazing...I use the mesh socks from RailButtons.com and throw them in one of my re-purposed pelican cases. I don't have a huge number yet, but I admire those that do!

Back