CTI CATO.. what to do?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May well be as you say. However, shipping carrier warranty is/was not the issue. Who is responsible for the cost of shipping of a warranty replacement is the issue. My contention is; "the customer, or for that matter the dealer, should not be on the hook for any shipping charges related to warranty replacement of motors or hardware, especially the customer".
Totally agree with that. Unfortunately many product warranties require the customer to pay for shipping, at least one direction and some both.

Fred,
All of your examples are for non-hazardous products. And for mass marketed products.

Also consider returning a product to a small local hardware store that you bought at Home Depot. There might be exceptions but I bet you’ll get a cross eyed look!
Being hazmat is irrelevant. I don't think the cost should fall on a dealer like Robert... but CTI should absolutely cover all costs to replace their product including any shipping related with it and not have some asinine policy to wait until a dealer orders. I have NEVER been charged shipping for anything replaced under warranty whether it was hazardous, small, large, bulk, or truck freight on pallets.

I had a similar cato with a 54/2G J145 longburn skid. Robert replaced the hardware, I filed a MESS and claim with CTI. I haven't heard anything... but I have another J145 and I'm not going to hesitate to fly it. It can't cato like that twice, right? :)
I made that same bet... and lost! But it was exciting!!!

Totally agree with that. Unfortunately many product warranties require the customer to pay for shipping, at least one direction and some both.
I can't say I have ever run into that. Perhaps that is just because I tend to purchase products who company stands behind their product when they have a quality issue.

I can't say I have ever run into that. Perhaps that is just because I tend to purchase products who company stands behind their product when they have a quality issue.
The biggest one I ran into was a Kirby vacuum. They have a life time warranty on their motors units. My grandmother got a whole new Kirby system from the local dealer when her 40 year old machine died. That was 30 years ago. I bought a Gen4 system back about 1993. When it started having issues about 2018, I found out that the life time warranty required the customer to ship it to their repair facility, pay a $400 rebuild/replacement fee, and pay for return shipping. Now they call it their Lifetime Rebuild Program. I guess that isn't too bad after 25 years when the new vacuum and carpet shampoo systems run $2500 now. But still...

I will try to find out more about an alternative to paying hazmat fees for CTI warranty replacements.

Delivery at a launch is an obvious option for those nearby in the the southwest and California. Or wait for delivery at a national launch.

Any other serious ideas, short of demanding CTI pays the shipping? (I don’t think we can change that any time soon).

That has not been my experience. I guess, it's because I generally purchase products from companies that completely stand behind their product when I have experienced a warranty issue.

Back