how do you make Homemade launch pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woohoo

Reaction score
Im thinking about buying the Estes big daddy but I dont want to pay a boatload of cash for the launch pad and blast deflector. Are there any ideas?

Here's a link to mine. A couple of folks here use it. Now, for my blast deflector I cheated; I used the one from my Aerotech Mantis pad.

Here is a photo of my launch pad. It is a 2X2 sheet of 1/4" plywood with standoffs for 1/8" and 3/16" launch rods. The blast deflectors are old hinges. When I need to change the angle of the launch rod I throw a brick under one edge of the plywood.

Copy of IMG_3934.jpg

As you start to fly larger rockets with more power you will want to get/make better launch equipment – pad and controller.
The big daddy can fly on D or E power. Estes recommends the “E” launch pad and controller because it is –
-A little larger and more stable.
- Has a bigger blast deflector.
- Can accept the 3/16 inch “maxi rod. (maxi rod not included)
-The E launch controller is a regular launch controller with longer wires. – NAR safety code is 30’ for E motors.

If you already have the standard Estes Port-A-Pad - it can be adapted for “E” motors for just a few dollars. :D
-Use cheap metal "hook style" tent stakes to “nail" the pad legs down – very stable!
-12x12 piece of sheet steel from the hardware store to use for a larger blast deflector.
-The standard Estes "port-a-pad" will accommodate a larger 3/16 X 48" inch steel rod – also from the hardware store.
-You can extend the wires on your controller by splicing on another 15 – 20 feet of wire – wire and micro clips available at Radio Shack.

-Scott

Here's a link to mine. A couple of folks here use it. Now, for my blast deflector I cheated; I used the one from my Aerotech Mantis pad.

I sorta "inherited" one of those from some TARC kids that came out to fly a couple years ago or so and left it behind and never offered to come back and get it... Seems pretty straightforward and works well.

I don't have much need for it... I use a clone of Dr. Zooch's homemade pad that he built for his launches-- it works great and looks even better, and it's cheap and easy to make.

https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=49230&highlight=Zooch+launch+pad

The details are about halfway down the first page of that thread. I made my base a bit bigger for more stability, but the basics are the same, including the neat adjustable rod holder that works really well.

Here's a pic... enjoy! OL JR :)

DSCF0001.jpg

launchpad1-r.jpg

glam9.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

mark2pad2.jpg

If your handy with woodworking tools, this is pretty simple and nostalgic too!

The original was redwood but anything will work.

If you have the wood you can make the legs longer and the center section really doesn't need to be round.

View attachment tilt-a-pad.pdf

Here's the one I made...out of a halogen light stand. I used the Estes 'head', from my Porta-Pad, and fastened it to the stand. Works great, and very portable.

Launch%20Pad%20001.jpg

Launch%20Pad%20002.jpg

Launch%20Pad%20003.jpg

Launch%20Pad%20004.jpg

Here's mine.

Rocket11.jpg

Made from kitbashing a bunch of space playsets.

Last edited:
Thanks.

The first pad flies BT-5 to BT-20 rockets. The second pad flies BT-50 to BT-55 rockets and the last pad is for my heavy hitters. They fly BT-60 to BT-80 type rockets.

Your Launch pad is possibly one of the most individual things any "Rocketeer" we have on the field. At least while flying on your own.

It's always been my contention that our Launch Pads and controllers should be at least as interesting as the models we fly from them as many times they are the only thing sitting out there in the field representing our hobby while we are out recovering our flying models. No that doesn't mean they have to be all that expensive or "technical" but should at least have a little "Character".

From the simplest handheld controllers and tripods to the biggest heaviest multi-use HDduty launchers, whichever or whatever you build at least make them to inspire questions.

Std 12in Tripod-d_3pic Page_12-02-09.jpg

HD Stl 19in TriPod-d_3pic launcher page_12-02-09.jpg

Eq02-a1_Stand-Alone_1-Pad-Launch-system on Camera Tripod_07-07-01.jpg

Solar Launcher-k1_15pic Everything Pg (128dpi)_11-23-05.jpg

On a related note, I finally got a length of 1010 rail. Are there any good plans available for rail launchers other than the one on EMRR? I'd like to consider my options before I buy parts.

Last edited:
not to cross post but I just listed a LARGE lot of 80/20 rail and parts on the yard sale thread.

perfect for making pads

Back