How do I apply a wrap in OpenRocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
I need some step-by-step instructions for applying a wrap design in OpenRocket. A month or so ago I read a post in a thread that described using the Texture option under Appearances to pick an image file that would then be shown as a wrap around the rocket. I tried it then out of curiosity and was unable to get it to work. Now I'm going back and giving it a bit more effort and I still cannot make it work.

I have a body tube that has been given a color of black under Appearances. Here are the settings and how it looks:

OR-Wrap-Q1.jpg

When I go to Textures and pick the file, what I get every time is a what appears to be a white BT:

OR-Wrap-Q2.jpg

So it's changing from black, but it's not showing an image wrapped around the rocket.

Does anyone know why this is happening or what I might be doing wrong?

What image file formats work best? Is jpeg ok?

Does the file need to be a particular size?

Why does it show the file as "decals/<filename>"? Is the "decals/" part something the program is adding for its internal use, or am I supposed to create a "decals" folder somewhere and have the file in there?

Does it have anything to do with the Repeat, Scale or Offset fields?

If someone can point out an obvious error I've made or has any info on how to use this feature, that would be great. What would be really awesome would be a step-by-step procedure, including any tips for how to prepare the image file and then apply the wrap!

Thanks!

First, you've got it as a .rkt, and not a .ork That could be part of the problem.

Also, if the image is too large, it'll do nothing. I had to downscale my OFFL decal by 50% before OR would even think about playing with it.

jpeg will work. they do need to be fairly small though 256w or smaller. the default location OR looks is the Decals sub-folder(of where ever you're storing the design file you're working on)...if you have lots of pictures it is easier to make a sub-folder of where ever you are storing your design files. for me that would be RKT files\decals, that way I can find the current 'decal' easily if I want to edit it.
Rex

I tried most of the suggestions, and I'm still having a problem with this. I've got an OpenRocket ORK file, not an RKT file. I am keeping my image files in a "decals" subfolder. And I am using very small images.

No matter what kind of design I have in my image file, it always looks like just one single uniform color on the rocket. For example, if the image has an orange area and a black area, the wrap on the rocket will look a uniform orange color. I did one experiment with an orange and black image, and when I mirrored the image in my image editor so that the black swapped with the orange and I applied that swapped file as a wrap, the rocket looked a uniform black instead of orange. It's as if the program is just looking at a very small piece of the file and applying that tiny color sample to the whole rocket.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I just took a screen shot for example; your settings seems to be fine, I don't understand why it doesn't work. Try the "rotation" as your image may be in your rocket's back. You can also play with the scale effect. Sometimes the image is in a corner of the part you want it but you can't see it.
op test for thirsty barbarian.jpg

The thread was "What tools do you use to visualize a paint design?" I think.
Hope it helps,
Steeve

Last edited:
I tried most of the suggestions, and I'm still having a problem with this. I've got an OpenRocket ORK file, not an RKT file. I am keeping my image files in a "decals" subfolder. And I am using very small images.

No matter what kind of design I have in my image file, it always looks like just one single uniform color on the rocket. For example, if the image has an orange area and a black area, the wrap on the rocket will look a uniform orange color. I did one experiment with an orange and black image, and when I mirrored the image in my image editor so that the black swapped with the orange and I applied that swapped file as a wrap, the rocket looked a uniform black instead of orange. It's as if the program is just looking at a very small piece of the file and applying that tiny color sample to the whole rocket.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Did you ever get this to work? I've applied decals successfully in the past with previous versions of OpenRocket but I can't any longer with version 14.11. Even my older ORK files that I had decals in now just show up as a solid color. I'm starting to think there may be a bug in the latest release.

Did you ever get this to work? I've applied decals successfully in the past with previous versions of OpenRocket but I can't any longer with version 14.11. Even my older ORK files that I had decals in now just show up as a solid color. I'm starting to think there may be a bug in the latest release.

No. I never got it to work. But I don't think I tried anything beyond my last post above. I have 14.11 too, so maybe there is a bug.

No. I never got it to work. But I don't think I tried anything beyond my last post above. I have 14.11 too, so maybe there is a bug.

Hey, I'm one of the contributors to OpenRocket, and I'd like to take a look at this. If you're still interested, would you please send me your .ork and the jpg file? I'll take a look, and see if I can find the problem.

-Dan

Thanks, Dan. Out of curiosity, I tried this in 14.11 and couldn't get it to work. You OR developers are always very responsive, which is amazing for a free product!

For the decals I've been using lately, I've been creating a .png image that is set at 100 pixels per inch. So a BT-60 based rocket with a 18" body tube gets an image that is 1800x514 (the 514 number was figured as 1.637"xPi). I copy my wraps and other decals onto this image, then use the edit function to correct them if one is out of place. It isn't fast, but the results can be stunning.

24864115671_167ce22659_b.jpg

24957267915_8544d7b181_b.jpg

24839304932_0ddc665d47_b.jpg

Back