How did I not know this before?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljwilley

I’m pretty sure it will work…
Reaction score
Did anyone else actually know that you can open Rocsim files in open rocket? How did I know know this before because this is really usefull!

I knew it, somehow I picked up that bit of info. when I was reading about OR. It comes in handy sometimes- when I search for sims online if I can't find a sim in OR maybe it can find it in RS.

I just was thinking man it would be awesome if I could convert Rocsim to open rocket, and when I was trying to open an open rocket file, I saw a little drop down bar. This drop down bar is what usually says what type of files to display when browsing folders. The two options are usually the standard file type and the option for all files. For whatever reason, I decided to click on it revealing the .rkt option. I immediately clicked on it and then selected my 4" airborne surveillance missile Rocsim file (a build to come) and prayed it did not completely corrupt the program. It actually worked.
My brain:
o_O

Did anyone else actually know that you can open Rocsim files in open rocket? How did I know know this before because this is really usefull!
Yes, but....... OR does not support all components in Rocksim. Just make sure if it throws up any errors when opening the Rocksim file that you pay attention and address the issues. Might be a standard component that's not supported in OR or something else. This would leave the OR rocket design missing bits usually.
For 95% ish of the files, there is no issue. :)
Spill holes in parachutes is one item not supported.
:)

Last edited:
The biggest such issue seems to be the one major RS feature that OR just doesn't have; I can never remember if that's ring tails or tube fins. I don't use it often, and when I do it's mostly to go the other way, to open OR files from the web and save as RS files.

In summary:
Yup, pretty much everybody. 😜

I was playing with OR today and working with some sims that I originally downloaded as rocksim files. I noticed that all of them had the component finish specified as "aircraft sheet metal". I wonder if this is a slight incompatibility of the conversion from RS to OR. I don't know the implications of this, maybe it is no big deal. I suppose if a person is downloading a RS file to use they should check all of the settings first.

Latest posts

Back