How can I ship my Rocket to Germany? (newbie needs help)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredatcur

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

rocketry (exchange) student from the Seattle Central College here.

I'm from Germany and want to ship my rocket to Germany this summer but I don't know what the best way to do this is.
Via Mail? Via Plane cargo (when I fly back myself)?
Also what does border & customs control say about this?

Has anyone had this issue before? (I also heard there is a another German in this forum, if anyone knows him, please lead him my way.)

Also, sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, I've been looking for the right thread to post this topic...

Any help is appreciated.

How large is the rocket? Length, diameter, fin span, how many sections, fiberglass?, cardboard ?, carbon fiber?, etc.

Are you shipping electronics with it - and if so, what exactly?

Are you shipping motor cases, and no motors?

How large is the rocket? Length, diameter, fin span, how many sections, fiberglass?, cardboard ?, carbon fiber?, etc.

Are you shipping electronics with it - and if so, what exactly?

Are you shipping motor cases, and no motors?
It's the "Intruder" by Public Missles Ltd.

The length is around 1 Meter when I take it apart.

No electronics or motors. The motor tube is in the rocket tho, but no motor.

As long as you aren't shipping any actual propellant or other energetics, you shouldn't have any issues aside from that it's going to be expensive. It's just an inert piece of material in the shape of a rocket. You just need to find a box big enough and bring it to UPS or something.

A friend of mine was able to box up his rocket and checked it as luggage and airline had no problem at all. I’d check with your carrier just to make sure they have no issues.

If you box it up properly you should be able to check it in with the airline when you fly. Make sure you phone them first to confirm it is ok to do this. This is how many teams shipped rockets to/from Spaceport America Cup last year, so I have seen it work personally. Make sure you emphasise with the airline that it is an INERT MODEL ROCKET.

A long skinny box with foam inserts would work well I think. Most of the student HPR rockets were MUCH larger and had wooden crates or Pelican cases.

Oh, if you are flying QANTAS you may lose your rocket somewhere along the way (#askmehowIknow). FYI, an airtag or similar in with it might not be a bad idea, if you feel like it.

I've taken golf clubs on airliners. They were in a hard case. The cases are about 5' tall and come indifferent diameters. Not expensive. They couldn't crush your rocket if it's in something that they can't crush. My suggestion is to take it on the plane. Even if you have to pay for extra luggage it would be less expensive than shipping them. I paid $75 for an extra piece of luggage. It was a lot better than $200 to ship them UPS.

If you box it up properly you should be able to check it in with the airline when you fly. Make sure you phone them first to confirm it is ok to do this. This is how many teams shipped rockets to/from Spaceport America Cup last year, so I have seen it work personally. Make sure you emphasise with the airline that it is an INERT MODEL ROCKET.

A long skinny box with foam inserts would work well I think. Most of the student HPR rockets were MUCH larger and had wooden crates or Pelican cases.

Oh, if you are flying QANTAS you may lose your rocket somewhere along the way (#askmehowIknow). FYI, an airtag or similar in with it might not be a bad idea, if you feel like it.
Would a Hybrid Motor Fuel Grain be considered Inert?

I've taken golf clubs on airliners. They were in a hard case. The cases are about 5' tall and come indifferent diameters. Not expensive. They couldn't crush your rocket if it's in something that they can't crush. My suggestion is to take it on the plane. Even if you have to pay for extra luggage it would be less expensive than shipping them. I paid $75 for an extra piece of luggage. It was a lot better than $200 to ship them UPS.
Same goes for flying with skis.
I have a 190cm hard case that fits two pairs of skis, poles, and all sorts of other supplies. Could easily fit multiple rockets in there as well, if required. Most skis cost as much, if not more, than a HP rocket.
Some airlines charge extra for XL luggage, some comp the fee based off your FF status, airfare category, or some other random variable (phase of the moon?).

In general, you should NOT have any difficulties shipping the airframe by mail, or by airline.
Customs wont look at it twice. If someone asks - it's a piece of art. End of story.
Shipping the propellant is another can of warms altogether.

HTH,
a

Hey Fredatcur, I was just wondering how you made out with shipping your rocket. Did you take it on the plane with you, check it, or did you ship it by another means?

I am going to be visiting my adult son on the other side of the United States and was wondering about shipping a large box of my already constructed rockets out to him so we can launch together like when he we was a kid. No motors or propellant. I'll buy those when I get there.

In this post 911 world of ours, these things could arouse some suspicion, as they are meant to resemble missiles. Was wondering if anybody has a preferred carrier, UPS, FedEx or USPS. Should I write toy model rockets on the box and also write no motors or propellant enclosed? Or just box them up and ship them and quit overthinking this?

If the Mods prefer, I can start a new thread. Don't mean to hijack. Thank you for any insight or info.

Back