Homeland Security Regulations affecting Non -resident aliens

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quixote

Reaction score
I hope someone can give me a definitive answer regarding the current state of United States Homeland Security regulations as they affect non-resident aliens, i.e. Canadians, as we travel on vacation or business in the continental US.

Several years ago Estes had a link to ther Homeland Security website, but that is long since been removed. The reason I ask, is of course, to have knowledge of the current regs prior to me making an application for an Import permit. If possible I intend to purchase, pick up, transport across state lines and then import into Canada a large volume of Estes and Quest motors.

I have been legally importing model rocket motors since the 1970's and did so on a regular basis until 2001, since then all imports have been Aerotech exclusively and again by proper channels and proceedures. As an importation of Model motors in the quantity to make it worthwhile (2 to 3K units) and the expense (product and Importation permit) involved , I need to be crystal clear as to the rules. Having a few thousand dollars worth of motors being confiscated and possible (foreign)federal charges being laid is not anyone's idea of fun!

The current Canadian rules allow for importation without a permit of six(6) authorized model rocket motors, which include Estes, Quest and Aerotech (D-G only).

Should the current HLS regs prevent this action I will just go back to the normal commercial transport and increased shipping expense.

Thank you for any assistance on this topic.

Garth Illerbrun
CAR S04 L3
NAR 26894 L2

Hobby rocket motors containing 62.5 grams of propellant are not regulated in the US. You should be able to purchase them without any problems.

You should not have a problem leaving the US with them in a car. You will have to declare them in Canada, however the Canada-US Free Trade Agreement and NAFTA and here should eliminate some or all of the customs duty for small orders.

Estes is owned by Hobbico. Most on-line sales are through Tower Hobbies. Tower Hobbies sells rocket through rocketfun.com. They ship internationally.

Contact Estes and/or contact Tower by calling toll-free (USA and Canada) at 800-637-6050 for specific questions regarding ordering and shipping to Canada.

Bob

Thank you Bob!

That is exactly how I used to import Estes motors from visits to the Pacific Northwest, via car. Went through Canada Customs with the usual delays, but as my paperwork, and import permits were always in order there was never any issue other than answering the usual questions or hearing, "Oh I remember flying rockets when I was a kid!" I have ordered general and RC supplies from Tower Hobbies in the past so know the drill with them. I will take your advice and contact Hobbico/Estes directly and question them, for they were the original source of the internet link to Homeland Security. Appreciate your response.

Garth

Garth,

For these kind of questions I always go to Mary Roberts at Estes. I'll get you her direct contact information.

- Rich

Back