Holder to paint nose cones.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldlizard

Reaction score
Here is a way to hold your mini scale nose cones. Take an old pill bottle, cut a little notch in the top. Make sure to check the hole as you cut, you want a tight fit for the screw eye, then press in the screw eye. Bam... you are ready to paint! Just fill the inside with sand to keep it from falling over, your done. You can use a larger bottle for larger nose cones.DSCN1698.jpgDSCN1701.jpgDSCN1702.jpg

You would be surprised at all the things those little bottles can do as far as a tool is concerned, Recently I used one to turn down and sand the midsection of my 20 mill build as I spun it to get it in shape. Put a screw in the cap and cut the bottle in half to capture the rocket---instant lathe !

I just use a scrap piece of matching tubing. I've got an 8" hunk of 4.0" airframe that's got red, black, oiled bronze, purple, and pink on it in various layers.

Later!

--Coop

I apply a wrap of masking tape to the cone shoulder, and then I cut "handles" out of cardboard, which I tape the nosecone shoulder to with a couple strips of tape. This allows me a "handle (strip of cardboard about a couple inches wide and about a foot or so long, so that I can move the cone around during painting as needed, or bring it inside for drying. Works great.

Later! OL JR :)

With balsa nosecones I use masking tape, too. Where OL JR attaches a cardboard handle, I use a dowel. Same principle and same effect, just different raw materials.

usually use a scrap of matching body tube taped on one of many engine mount insert dowels with spent motor casing slip fitting (Spent D motor casing) attached to a turntable. Cone or model can stay attached to one of these dowel support/handles through the entire finishing process from primer/fillers to final top coat painting.

Construction-b_4-of-8 Sanded ready for primer_01-24-08.JPG

Construction-c-sm_8-of-8 Primered_01-24-08.JPG

I use an Imodium bottle. It keeps my paint from getting the runs.

For the main body, I use a plastic plumbing supply connector, the kind with the ball on the end that seats in the faucet. Fits perfectly in a BT 20.

Back