Hobbyking Mini DLG: a candidate for RC RG conversion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As I have mentioned before, I like to have multiple projects going on and this recent Black Friday week purchase from HobbyKing is getting into my build queue soon.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=73966

Hobbyking put this nice little DLG up for sale the week before Black Friday at a completely irresistible price. Normally about $104, the BF week price was just 39.25! Includes two 3.6g servos.

Wingspan is 950mm and advertised weight is 130g in DLG mode. Have not yet checked real weight, but it does feel light. Wing and general construction is very stiff and strong and looks like it would hold up to an E6 boost.

Build quality is quite nice. Gets good reviews over on RCG.

Several conversion possibilities.

1. Assemble it inverted to get the horizontal stab lower, wing below boom and add a new fully underslung fin. (Like the Whipit conversion) new fuse pod arrangement with servos shifted so the wing can be mounted closer to the boom when inverted. Quickest conversion, with some compromises for being the quick path forward.

2. Use just the wing, save the stock fuse and servos for some DLG fun and make a new pod, boom and tail assembly, either inverted V or normal tail with underslung fin. More work, but better optimized for RG flight.

3. Might be possible to cut the tail boom just in front of the stock stab mount and add a insert that would allow swapping out the stock tail and pushrods with a new rear boom section with a tail set suitable for RG use.

The wing being mounted on standoffs that keep it well above or below the boom does create some issues, but nothing that cannot be dealt with.

Not quite enough wing area and a bit heavy to be optimal for a S8E type glider, but ought to be fun to fly.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I wish I had seen that sale. This looks fun, I'll be watching this, as well as my HK sale emails to see if they lower the price again.

Be aware, at 130g+30g of motor casing, it will scoot on an E6.

Personally, I recommend just gluing a short motor pod to the top of the wing and flipping the tails top for bottom. DLGs have an excess of vertical stab area for lateral damping, so you should be good with cutting anything that pokes above the boom.

Be aware, at 130g+30g of motor casing, it will scoot on an E6.

Personally, I recommend just gluing a short motor pod to the top of the wing and flipping the tails top for bottom. DLGs have an excess of vertical stab area for lateral damping, so you should be good with cutting anything that pokes above the boom.

Oh, I am well aware of the likely boost performance on the E6. If the model had not passed a careful look-see and some bending and stressing to get an idea of its structural integrity, it would stay a DLG.

Another nice power option for a model like this would be a C6, and chad-stage C6 to C6. Although for Chad staged R/C RBG's, I like to either use an inverted Vee tail, or to have the horizontal stab under the boom. So that the chance of the tumbling first C6 hitting the stab is reduced. And definitely have the control horn(s) facing away from the exhaust side, so that the casing (or a pop-pod for a B/G) can't knock a control horn loose.

In 1980 with what was something like my 2nd R/C B/G, the model boosted fine on chad staged D12's, then after the pop-pod separated, the glider dove into the ground. No elevator control. Except I did wiggle the sticks in both axes, and did get a rudder response, confirming the radio was working. After the crash, the elevator servo was still working too, but the control horn was broken. I realized the tumbling engine casing probably knocked the control horn loose, or possibly the pop-pod. So after that I tried to ether design for the control horn to be on the bottom, or modified the design so that nothing could hit the control horn to knock it loose.

Anyway, C6's would probably work nicely, and a good option for others who do not have 24mm RC reload casings (yet). Another nice thing, staging wise, is to gradually do it, like C6-0 to B4 or C6-0 to B6. During the early 2000's, after the Aerotech fire when D7 and E6 reloads were OOP, I made a number of S8E-P trim and practice flights with staged C6's to save my reload stash for more intensive practice flights later. I did a FEW 3-staged C6's, which went well.

Back