Hobby Lobby may pack it up!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you making that statement? No where did it say they could go out of business. They will just cover the stuff, and not pay the fines. They already did in an "oversight", so it's not like it's something new.

HL filed an appeal to not providing employees with "the pill" and lost the ruling. if HL does not comply with the law it will cost them from what i understand around 1.4 million dollars PER DAY. i may be wrong but in this economy i dont believe HL is that financially strong. how do you know that with the current economy HL can
afford insurance to all its employees.

what if HL used "the pill" exemption as a cover that it couldnt afford to pay its employee's so it sought a waiver on the federally mandated insurance.

While I agree the story does not say they may go out of business it also does not state they will "cover the stuff, and not pay the fines." ... Will be interesting to follow.

That being said ... not sure how this whole thread belongs on TRF ... just say'n

Well, doing the math, a 1.4 million per day fine represents 23% of their annual revenue.

So...raise prices 25% and that'll cover the fines.

There are other strategic options as well.

It's pretty darn early to call gloom and doom, considering HL is one of the more profitable companies in this economy.

FC

If HL is going out of business, that's rocketry-related. The article does not state this, however, and your interpretation is a political one, just like if I wrote:

"Hobby Lobby going out of business due to religious zealotry", which is equally supported by the article. Sound more political/religious now?

There are other forums besides TRF to discuss this.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. This will have impact on rocketry and is appropriate to discuss. It can be discussed without going political.

Although we don`t have HL here in Canada ,it`s always too bad if we lose another hobby shop.I remember as a kid ,there were all kinds of hobby shops around ,because that`s what kids did ,trains ,models ,crafts ,rockets ,COX airplanes etc. Now ,many kids are not into that stuff ,and the hobby has shrunk.

One day ,not soon i hope ,hobby shops might be a thing of the past, for whatever reason ,and that`s sad.But....perhaps I`m just an old fashioned ,nostalgic dinosaur...I don`t know.

But ,thankfully ,we have 6-7 hobby shops in my city all close to my home ,and I love to visit them often ,like going back to my childhood ,it brings back good memories.

Yessir ,losing a hobby shop for whatever reason is not a good thing.

Regards

paul t

Completely avoiding anything political, I believe it is fair to say that Hobby Lobby has a successful business model. If they choose to depart the stage (very unlikely, IMHO), I'm sure some other business will fill the gap left in the "Applebees crap, art supplies, and a little bit of hobby stuff" market. Considering that there are currently HL and Micheal's, and JoAnne Fabrics (more on the textile side, with some overlap in general), already competing in the market, I'd say the business area is viable.

Let's just wait and see what happens...

UH..... That is article is far to vague to form any opinion, which seems to be typical of most online articles these days. Seems they want to illicit reactions more than providing facts, which is happening here.....

Oddly, I read another article a while back that specified that if HL were to offer healthcare that did not comply with the mandate, their fine would exceed $140 million per year (I don't recall exact figures) but if they simply dropped ALL medical coverage for their employees, their fine would ONLY be $30 million. It isn't what they want to do, but it would, from a pure business standpoint, make far more sense. I will not comment further as it would deviate from the facts and become political...

"The Greens will continue to make their case on appeal that this unconstitutional mandate infringes their right to earn a living while remaining true to their faith."
They may want to reword their appeal. The way it's worded now an employee could use the same argument to demand insurance coverage for some types of contraception.

As a teenager I move back cross water from the US my father was in the military and as a teenager I got to experience all the freedom to America and I'm not being politically correct as I know this is a very politcally correct forum ... But we know now your country is not what it used to. It to me now seems like Americans are not as strong as a used to be and unwilling to stand up for righteousness and the Freedom's you want had. Again this is my views is an outsider from the another coun.try and I'm not being Politically incorrect anything else is my vi I just been many years growing up your country in learning I to respect America as most people maybe still doo. Anymore it seems like Americans are just looking out for instant or self gratify gratification and not looking out for the country as a whole any longer

HL filed an appeal to not providing employees with "the pill" and lost the ruling. if HL does not comply with the law it will cost them from what i understand around 1.4 million dollars PER DAY. i may be wrong but in this economy i dont believe HL is that financially strong. how do you know that with the current economy HL can
afford insurance to all its employees.

what if HL used "the pill" exemption as a cover that it couldnt afford to pay its employee's so it sought a waiver on the federally mandated insurance.
Did you read the article at all? It isn't THE pill they aren't covering.....from the article"They said a provision dealing with insurance coverage for certain types of contraception — the morning-after pill, the week-after pill and some intrauterine devices — went against the family's beliefs" and "Hobby Lobby and Mardel said their health insurance would continue to cover other types of contraception." it's just certain types they have a problem with....The gov't could care less about anyones beliefs or rights, as we know in this hobby community.

I heard somewhere some one crunched the numbers for Papa Johns the mandate added 14 cents on a pizza. I wonder...

I get so sick of the liberals today, they look us in the face and say, "you have no right to impose you'r set of morals on others", and yet that is EXACTLY what they are doing. They want the rest of us to pay for thier life style choices. If you don't want to have kids for whatever reason, great, good more power to you. What ever way you decide to handle this is you'r business, and what's the big deal with having to FUND contreception any way, last time I checked condoms were quite cheap, and they're available for both men and women. The pill is quite affordable also, my wife used them for several years. If they need some thing more than these and can't afford it then they need to keep thier pants (or dresses) on and stay the heck out of the sack.

Last edited:
As a teenager I move back cross water from the US my father was in the military and as a teenager I got to experience all the freedom to America and I'm not being politically correct as I know this is a very politcally correct forum ... But we know now your country is not what it used to. It to me now seems like Americans are not as strong as a used to be and unwilling to stand up for righteousness and the Freedom's you want had. Again this is my views is an outsider from the another coun.try and I'm not being Politically incorrect anything else is my vi I just been many years growing up your country in learning I to respect America as most people maybe still doo. Anymore it seems like Americans are just looking out for instant or self gratify gratification and not looking out for the country as a whole any longer

Very well said sir. You have a keen ability of observance.

Protect us from those who would protect us from ourselves.

I enjoy the occasional shopping trip to Hobby Lobby and hope they continue to stay in business. Their rocketry aisle is always fun and their prices with the 40 percent off coupon are the best around. Unfortunately for me, the local HL is not so local and I don't get up that way as often as I'd like.

The times I've made the trip, rocketry-wise I bought my Ventris and my Leviathan there. I usually pick up general hobby tools and supplies (paint, airbrush supplies, plywood, etc).

I will miss them if they close up shop.

They want the rest of us to pay for thier life style choices....

Not really. Let's avoid all the politics, and focus on the numbers. A health plan WITH full contraceptive coverage is LESS EXPENSIVE than one without it. The reason is that a typical hospital delivery these days runs $5,000-$25,000. Plus of course all the costs along the way. One woman's worth of whatever contraception costs an insurance provider ~$50 per year. The cost (to the insurer) of a morning after pill and similar things is very very small.

So, when you run the numbers, making these options available reduces the chance the insurer will have to pick up the tab for a pregnancy and delivery. Run all this through the actuarial tables and you find that removing such coverage is actually expensive to the insurer, and thus to the insured.

Nobody is asking folks who abhor contraception, morning after pills, or whatever to pay for them. Having the coverage REDUCES the cost of the policy. There's also the fact that most people working for whatever organization (HL, Catholic hospital, etc.) aren't the same faith as the head of the organization. Why should the organization micro-manage specific details of the health coverage, to the detriment of those covered by the policy? Nobody's forcing anyone to use any of the options available. It's a numbers game, plain and simple.

Marc

Last edited:
Marc, you are correct.....and Closet A, I agree with you. All I am disagreeing with the original poster was that there was nothing I read that implied HL was going to close up if they didn't get this overturned.

Oddly, I read another article a while back that specified that if HL were to offer healthcare that did not comply with the mandate, their fine would exceed $140 million per year (I don't recall exact figures) but if they simply dropped ALL medical coverage for their employees, their fine would ONLY be $30 million. It isn't what they want to do, but it would, from a pure business standpoint, make far more sense. I will not comment further as it would deviate from the facts and become political...

That is why this law does not make sense.

I get so sick of the liberals today, they look us in the face and say, "you have no right to impose you'r set of morals on others", and yet that is EXACTLY what they are doing. They want the rest of us to pay for thier life style choices. If you don't want to have kids for whatever reason, great, good more power to you. What ever way you decide to handle this is you'r business, and what's the big deal with having to FUND contreception any way, last time I checked condoms were quite cheap, and they're available for both men and women. The pill is quite affordable also, my wife used them for several years. If they need some thing more than these and can't afford it then they need to keep thier pants (or dresses) on and stay the heck out of the sack.

Indeed.

If paying for contraception is funding a "lifestyle choice" then so is paying for childbirth, family and maternity leave, and frankly public schooling too. We fund all sorts of lifestyle choices. I pay for my neighbor's kids to go to school, and for them to insist on expensive futile medical care for their dying grandparent in intensive care. Sure it's upsetting to feel like you're paying for something you don't agree with, but it's also kind of the beauty of the system. We make more choices for ourselves than others make for us.

You complain that people are imposing their values on you, then you tell them to keep their pants on? Come on.

I take it back, this is a bad idea because people are not capable of discussing this without arguing politics.

Hobby lobby will go on but this thread will not. Guys really?
Cheers
Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back