High power rocketry contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chand

Reaction score
Hello guys are you interested in high rocketry contest
The IREC is here
In IREC
there are two goals
1.rocket should carry 10lb payload and should reach at altitude of 10000ft this is badic category
2.rocket should carry 10lb payload and should reach at altitude of 25000ft to 30000ft this is advanced category
3.rules
the winner will be decided by points
Points will given on basis of
1.altitude
2.innovative payload
3 . propulsion system
4.condition of rocket when recovered 5. More points if parachute is deployed at 700ft to 1500ft after decending from apogee

In basic category on solid fueled rocket motors are allowed
In advanced category all types of propulsion system are allowed

All students must be completing there graduation or they must be in high school

Now I want a team for basic category
If you are interested then mail me at

[email protected]

I think this is a good idea. However, setting the altitudes at 10000 and 25000 feet greatly limit your participation. Many high power clubs, active ones....may not even have waivers to 10000 feet let alone 25000. Also, students may not have the coin to launch a 10lb payload to 10000 feet. Just my opinion, but if you make your parameters a little more realistic and accessible I bet you would get more participation.

I fly class 2 a lot and even I have to consider a K motor as a special occasion. The clubs I visit in Ohio and New York all have an active high power crowd. It is not as common as one would think to have anyone go over 10000. Money, conditions and sometimes launch flight restrictions limit such a flight.

I would say 2-5 lbs to no more than 5000 would be more doable for most average folks. Have fun! It is great to see these kinds of initiatives!

I agree with AKVP, 10 lbs to 10K is talking a lot of motor. Also, being high school students, they are probably under 18 and not allowed to buy or fly HPR motors without doing the Jr L1 with NAR or the Tripoli program. I could be wrong but I believe the NAR Junior program would restrict the under age flyer to Level 1 rockets and you'll never get 10 lbs to 10K with a Level 1 motor. If Tripoli allows the under age fliers to have flight to their mentors level, that would allow L2 and L3 flights but would also require all high school participants to be Tripoli members and have Tripoli mentors.

East of the Mississippi you may not find any 25K waivers and few sites where you can count on 10K flights without having perfect winds and weather. At BattlePark, we have a 16K waiver but there are very few that will fly to 10K unless conditions are very favorable.

We host the Battle of the Rockets for high school and college teams every spring. Right now the target altitude contest is 1300 ft and the payload requires a minimum of 1400 ft with a max of an I motor. The Mars Rover has a minimum of 1000 ft and max of K motor. Nothing very high. Up until 2011 they had a G & H altitude contest with a 54mm minimum diameter rocket, but the altitudes got over 7K even with a G motor and made the rockets very difficult to recover if it was breezy on the day of the contest.

The number of participants will be determined by how hard the challenge is and the cost of competing. If you make it very difficult, you won't get much participation.

I think there is some misunderstanding here, the IREC is the Intercollegiate Rocket Engineering Competition. It's put on by the Experimental Sounding Rocket Association (ESRA) and has been going on for 10 years. https://www.soundingrocket.org/irec1.html

He just wants to form a team to compete in the basic category and is looking for team members. Though I think he might be confused as it's for university students or recently graduated university students only. As EX motors of all kinds are encouraged at the competition.

I just took a look at their 2015 info flier. Are these guys TRA or NAR connected at all?
Seeing 4 people hiding behind a van, about 20ft from a bigger L2 or L3 rocket, gets me a bit worried

The OP is from India. There may be different rules in India, in US hobby rocketry we are restricted to solids and hybrids only. Amateur rocket is a totally different area and not what our readers do.

Bob

I think there is some misunderstanding here, the IREC is the Intercollegiate Rocket Engineering Competition. It's put on by the Experimental Sounding Rocket Association (ESRA) and has been going on for 10 years. https://www.soundingrocket.org/irec1.html

He just wants to form a team to compete in the basic category and is looking for team members. Though I think he might be confused as it's for university students or recently graduated university students only. As EX motors of all kinds are encouraged at the competition.

I have worked with them for a number of years. Not only is it for colleges or universities, they required a faculty member to be associated with the team participating. They have a rather high entry fee (compared to NAR or TRA launches) but there is no minimum number of people on the team. I've seen schools with only one or two members attend the launch.

Back