High Build Automotive Primers... Basics?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jraice

Reaction score
Can somebody give me the basics on these spray can high build auto primers? I am thinking about trying it on my comp 4 (doesnt REALLY need it, very smooth as is) and my dad is on his Patriot (could definetly use its high build)... My questions are, whats a good brand/type for use with spray paints like you get at a hardware store and/or whats a good auto primer/spray paint brand combo?

Also I plan on priming, sanding, painting, finessit-II'ing and then using nu-finish... No clear coat...

Oh and one more thing I need a paint brand that has some sort of bright orange color for my build... Ill be doing a flouresant orange/black paint combo.

I think I even saw that stuff at the hardware store! And what type of paints have you found to work alright with it?

I second dupli-color.

Check out their website, they have some paints that also can create cool effects on the rocket.

I know I have seen the duplicolor primers but not sure about the paints, at a hardware store.

So should I use primer and then my favorite spray paint? (whats compatible) or should I go to an autostore and find touch up spray cans?

When doing automotive paints should I clear coat the rocket? Can I still polish the clear coat?

hmm I wonder if the guys at the auto store could help me figure some of this out :/... Ill have to run over their tomorrow and see what they recommend for a fiberglass part.

I've used krylon over duplicolor, no problems.
I've also used the duplicolor primer over kilz to get some sanding contrast.

you can wetsand the automotive spraypaints(and krylon) but than you would want to use a clear coat to restore the gloss, the glosscoat can also be wetsanded and layered. depends on how far you want to go with it

So whats your guys recommended choice if I am not going to use a clear coat? Auto primer covered with auto touch up (spray can) paints or covered with krylon?

Also, I dont think the polishing will take away to much from the shine, I am wetsanding before and after priming but only polishing with finessit-II afterwords. Then I am coating with nu-finish which should bring all the shine back.

So now everybody that has recommended duplicolor, what paint did you use with it and did you use a clear coat?

Duplicolor primer or Kilz primer (either one is fine) and then use the touch-up paint followed(they're acrylic lacquers) by a water based acrylic clear (minwax makes a good one) as a clear coat. After the clear coat cures (about 2 days) then polish it with whatever you want.

-Aaron

Thanks just had a 4 man rocket session of learning about all types of things and sharing different ideas and one of the guys showed how he gets AMAZING finishs. So here is my ideas, high build duplicolor primer followed by the standard duplicolor primer. Then duplicolor paints, duplicolor clear coat... After the clear is dry it will get some 800-1200 grit and then standard rubbing compound followed by wax. I dont think the finessit-II's cost is going to be necessary...

Sound like a good plan?

Its a LOT more work then I have ever done so I am sure it will look much better then anything I have ever done and it should fit well with the fillets I put on last night! Best I have ever done and they havent even been sanded or finished (using a filler)!

Laminating resin with 406 filler is great stuff!!!

Back