Hemispherical nosecone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAC_Hal

Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm looking for a source for a hemispherical nosecone to fit a LOC 3.9 BT.

Can anyone be of help? Thanks in advance.

Have one custom turned by Sandman from Roachwerks. He does great work and you'll get one just the way you want it.

-Aaron

You can make your own by sticking a balloon into the end of your tube and glassing it! That is how we made the domes for the front of the pods on the Plaster Blaster 6 Y-wing build. It worked awesome!

You can make your own by sticking a balloon into the end of your tube and glassing it! That is how we made the domes for the front of the pods on the Plaster Blaster 6 Y-wing build. It worked awesome!

Do you want it "perfectly" hemispherical, like a ball stuck in the top of the airframe, or do you want it like a "Big Bertha" or "Fat Boy" style?

If it's the latter, Performance Rocketry makes one - I got one through Wildman's and used it on my 4" (LOC 3.9 tubing) Quest Harpoon upscale. It fit perfectly. I used a LOC bulkplate epoxied in to the base of the cone for the "shoulder" attachment of the recovery harness.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=35679

th390rnc.jpg

How about something like this from VoodooRockets?

th390rnc.jpg

How about something like this from VoodooRockets?

That's getting closer. What I would like is more like the geometry of the 6" cone listed on the same page. Or the 2.1".

I wish I had my machine shop back up and running. I'd turn one out of foam and glass it myself. But it looks like I won't have that back up and running until next spring or summer. :cry:

I used 1/2 of a hollow plastic ball to fit LOC tube. I got them from McMaster.com for a couple bucks each. Cat # 3748K18, currently $3.92 each. I cut them in a slightly asymmetrical halves and dremeled out the inside of the larger half to fit over a coupler.

Thanks Rocketjunkie for the suggestion of the poly balls; I'll check them out.

That also gives me a thought about using a styrofoam ball from an arts and crafts store. Get a 4" one and overlay glass on it. That might work also.

Back