Help wiring Blue Raven Alt

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyUnicorn

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello. I am trying to wire up this Blue Raven and a little confused on how to connect 3 of the leads. I have attached the Blue Raven wiring diagram, my drawing of the current state and a picture of how this is setup in my electronics bay.

Specifically, my question is how/where to connect the 2nd lead from each e-match as well as the On or 2nd lead from the rotary switch. These are marked with question marks and numbers in my drawing.

I reckon the 2nd rotary switch lead terminates at the (+) on the far left of the alt but not sure how that and the other two leads from the e-matches come together - and in such a way that I can easily remove and replace spent e-matches.

Attachments

• 20230727_091600.jpg
    20230727_091600.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230727_073526.jpg
    Screenshot_20230727_073526.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230727_005417.jpg
    20230727_005417.jpg
    1,023.2 KB · Views: 5
I believe all three of your question marks go to the + terminal of the altimeter. To keep the size of the altimeter small, there are no nice and neat pairs of terminals for the ematches, like other altimeters. You will need to fashion a way to connect the 3 leads or use a PowerPerch/Simple Circuit to simplify ematch hook up.

Thanks. Cool. I've seen the PP/Simple Circuit products - they present some additional design/layout challenges given my setup. Any other methods that folks have used to create that connection and still keep it modular in the sense that you can (relatively) easily connect and replace the e-matches?

IIVVERR PA8-2P 450V H Type Screw Terminal Blocks Strips Wire Cable Connectors 100pcs (PA8-2P 450V H Tipo Tornillo Bloques de terminales Tiras Cable Cable Conectores 100pcs https://a.co/d/fzYbfzx

You could use something like this. Run a power wire run from the Raven to one terminal, then run a jumper wire from 1 side to the other. Then you will have 4 spots to insert the 2 power wires (switch and Raven) and ematch leads.

Yes, all the ? are connected together with the + terminal. If the wire gauge is small (like e-match leads) you can twist them together, trim them, and then clamp them within the same screw terminal.

To replace the e-matches without disturbing the altimeter power wire, you could use one pair of terminals that others have mentioned.

This is one of my recent set ups. To try to explain it; The battery goes directly to the magnetic switch. From there the negative (black) goes directly to the Raven. The positive (red) goes under the Raven and to second from the top terminal. Then it connects directly to the bottom most terminal, and from there goes to the Raven. It’s hard to see though the hot glue to see the wire that connects those 2, but it’s there.
IMG_6819.jpeg

The compact size does complicate wiring a bit, but it also opens more possibilities.

IIVVERR PA8-2P 450V H Type Screw Terminal Blocks Strips Wire Cable Connectors 100pcs (PA8-2P 450V H Tipo Tornillo Bloques de terminales Tiras Cable Cable Conectores 100pcs https://a.co/d/fzYbfzx

You could use something like this. Run a power wire run from the Raven to one terminal, then run a jumper wire from 1 side to the other. Then you will have 4 spots to insert the 2 power wires (switch and Raven) and ematch leads.
Is this correct? Maybe I don't need wire from + to each block, just the Apogee wire and the Main wire? Sorry, I'm learning the electronics as I go, not a strength...yet.

Attachments

• 20230728_180309.jpg
    20230728_180309.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 5
This is one of my recent set ups. To try to explain it; The battery goes directly to the magnetic switch. From there the negative (black) goes directly to the Raven. The positive (red) goes under the Raven and to second from the top terminal. Then it connects directly to the bottom most terminal, and from there goes to the Raven. It’s hard to see though the hot glue to see the wire that connects those 2, but it’s there.
View attachment 594516

The compact size does complicate wiring a bit, but it also opens more possibilities.
Thanks for this idea and the picture!

As a long-time Raven user, I can't help but wonder if there is a less confusing way to describe the wiring. You are far from the first to ask this question.
It is not confusing whatsoever.

Back