Help Making Screw Head Decals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep a cheat sheet of Alt codes by my desk at all times. The whole grid of 8 bit codes and selected four digit codes. The ones I use most often are
½ (Alt-171)​
° (Alt-248)​
² (Alt-253)​
± (Alt-241)​
÷ (Alt-246)​
× (Alt-0215)​
≈ (Alt-247)​
There's a huge wealth of characters using the four digit codes, far too many to include on a simple cheat sheet. Notably lacking are 'subscript n' and 'subscript i'.
I really should acquire and learn paint.net. The quick sketches that some have seen me post here and there are usually done in MS Visio, which is darn useful, but damn expensive. (I have Visio 2003 bootleg at home, and up to date Visio at work that I didn't have to pay for either.)
Thanks for the cheat sheet Joseph! Very complete and uber useful. (Wish I'd had this while I was still a working graphic designer doing layout; would've made my life so much easier).

Anyone ever done a stamp for screwheads?
I made a tool out a mini phillips head driver with a piece of brass tube soldered over the end. Put it in place and rock it in a circle, do not twist it, will give a perfect screw head in aluminum, primer and paint. Glass tubing, not so much.

I made a tool out a mini phillips head driver with a piece of brass tube soldered over the end. Put it in place and rock it in a circle, do not twist it, will give a perfect screw head in aluminum, primer and paint. Glass tubing, not so much.

I thought about something like this. Do you need to heat it at all?

-Bob

Wow, that looks superb. Could get challenging at smaller scales, though (where I suspect decals are still the best, if not the most realistic, option).

Been following this closely. Made a bunch of screw heads myself. But here’s a question I want to know. How do you put multiple images on a sheet? For instance, I made some changes to the Sentinal decal sheet, colors only, and it will only use half of the decal sheet. And it’s in the center of the sheet. Waste of a sheet. I also would like to put my screws on the same sheet and maybe a couple of more items. Just to save sheets. How do I do that?

Last edited:
Here are the ones I made for my Sentinal (posted in low power thread).

Attachments

• IMG_0172.jpeg
    IMG_0172.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0174.jpeg
    IMG_0174.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Back