HED vs Traditional Dual Deploy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDeal4

Seduced by the dark side of the Force
Reaction score
Hi All , what are the benefits of HED vs the traditonal dual deploy?

The post i found on the subject just talk about how to set it up , not discuss the benefits if any.

Thanks in advance.

Hi All , what are the benefits of HED vs the traditonal dual deploy?

The post i found on the subject just talk about how to set it up , not discuss the benefits if any.

Thanks in advance.
HED solves the problem of doing DD on shorter rockets, where if you kept the rocket the same length, cut the airframe down to create a booster section and payload section, added a coupler to make a traditional e-bay between them, then you would be very linited on how long of a motor you could use or be very cramped trying to get proper sized recovery in. Traditional and HED both function in the same manner by separating or deploying a drogue at apogee and deploying a main at a set altitude

Retrofit your already built Little John or Nike Smoke, or any other 1 hole rocket.

Honestly, the Jolly Logic Chute Release does it all just right. Gets my vote for best innovation in the 21st century!

Retrofit your already built Little John or Nike Smoke, or any other 1 hole rocket.

Honestly, the Jolly Logic Chute Release does it all just right. Gets my vote for best innovation in the 21st century!
JLCR is not the same thing. HED can be 100% electronic dual deploy with a single device, and with a proper recording altimeter.

JLCR is not the same thing. HED can be 100% electronic dual deploy with a single device, and with a proper recording altimeter.
Why do you want any of that? More stuff to go wrong.

Why do you want any of that? More stuff to go wrong.
You would be incorrect. the 1000s of dual deployment flights where all that stuff is used wayyyyy more than any JLCR flights have been done. Weather its HED or conventional dual deployment. Properly done redundant dual deployment is the most reliable recovery method there is in the hobby. Ive personally been flying dual deployment for more than 20 years with great success including HED flights to over 35k ft agl. Ive seen more failures with motor deployment and Devices like JLCR than real electronic dual deployment.

Last edited:
When I built my 7.5" Goblin, I wanted it to be able to handle an N motor, even with the short body. I put the main in the nose cone with the altimeter bay holding it in. At apogee, the nose comes off the body and at main deploy the altimeter bay comes out of the nose, releasing the main. Build thread from 2010 before the Goblin kits and HED kits came out.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/almost-a-goblin.8709/Video showing flight sequence.

I built my first carbon 54mm rocket 20 years ago with 'traditional' dual deploy. it was a 6ft tall rocket (part of it was cause i made it for the 3ft long Hypertek 835cc K hybrid) I converted it to HED and chopped 18" off of it. this gain is huge for altitude and speed. I still use traditional dual deploy on scale or low performance rockets. it's easier to pack and I usually have plenty of space for the laundry.

The biggest disadvantage of HED is that there's a pretty restricted amount of space for the main chute once you count the AV bay intrusion into that space. I have a 3" WM Punisher 3, it was a struggle to get the chute in that space... finally, I gave up and bought a 12" payload tube/coupler so I would have more room for the chute. Haven't had a deployment problem with it since. I also have a 4" WM Drago Special with HED, I have not had any problems getting the chute into that one.

The biggest disadvantage of HED is that there's a pretty restricted amount of space for the main chute once you count the AV bay intrusion into that space. I have a 3" WM Punisher 3, it was a struggle to get the chute in that space... finally, I gave up and bought a 12" payload tube/coupler so I would have more room for the chute. Haven't had a deployment problem with it since. I also have a 4" WM Drago Special with HED, I have not had any problems getting the chute into that one.
I have had zero issues with any of that from 38mm, and 54mm minimum diameter HED stuff up to 5 inch diameter HED stuff. The type/manufacturer of chute used really makes a difference as does the size and length of the harness. I use primarily Spherachutes in their Ultralight line. They pack super tight/small. Also building as light as possible. My 54mm min diameter rocket burn out weight with a K250 was 40 oz. Even my 5 inch rocket that flew on an N1000 burn out weight was less than 20lbs.

I use the following sizes for my main chutes, all are Spherachutes ultralight. Depending on final weight starting altitude point they provide between 15 to 20 fps decent.
● 38mm 24" to 30" ultralight
● 54mm - 42” to 48" Ultralight
● 3” - 54” to 72" Ultralight
● 4” - 72” to 120" Ultralight
● 5” - 120" to 144" ultralight
● 6” - 144" to 168" ultralight

As far as harness i use tubular kevlar always 20 ft long. For 38mm 1/8" or smaller. For 54mm 1/8". For 3 and 4 inch 1/4 for 5 inch 3/8 to 1/2. And larger 7/16 or 3/4.

I got my Punisher 3 to load with HED but used a chute release on the main. Unfortunately I packed the release into the chute so it could not determine the altitude. Doh. Lesson learned.

Ahhhh, That's more electronics involved to do the same thing. Deal with motor eject and JLCR one just has to sim a reasonable apogee deployment delay and drill a delay grain for the right time if a stock one doesn't work. A one second either way is no big deal. Or use a simple apogee only deployment device and have the JLCR unfurl the main.
It's easier to do a permutation of that in smaller rockets though I expect there are probably tinier DD devices out there. One doesn't have to waste as many ematches either.

Ahhhh, That's more electronics involved to do the same thing.

Ahhhh, it is not the same thing as I said in post #4.

JLCR = inaccurate motor deploy apogee, DD HED = accurate electronic deploy apogee
JLCR + apogee electronics = 2 devices, DD HED = 1 device
JLCR = no data, DD HED = data capable

An e-match is not wasted when you have 100% recovery success. People frequently screw up motor deploy timing and the JLCR.
Beyond setting the timing right with the drill, and even beyond the imprecision of burning delay grains in general, with motor ejection you get to deal with chuffing motors shredding your rocket. The delay grain starts to burn when the motor first tries to light. By the time the motor finally comes up to pressure, the delay is almost done. Then the delay grain burns through while the rocket is under boost, and chaos ensues. Saw two rockets die this way at Airfest this year, and given the size of the launch, there were likely more I didn't see.

Beyond setting the timing right with the drill, and even beyond the imprecision of burning delay grains in general, with motor ejection you get to deal with chuffing motors shredding your rocket. The delay grain starts to burn when the motor first tries to light. By the time the motor finally comes up to pressure, the delay is almost done. Then the delay grain burns through while the rocket is under boost, and chaos ensues. Saw two rockets die this way at Airfest this year, and given the size of the launch, there were likely more I didn't see.
Chuffing motors is something I'm just learning about, so believe me I'm keeping my little Aerotech RMS 18/20 reloads sealed and sealed again until I might have a chance to use them! Your scenario makes 'way too much sense.

I'm really interested in the electronic side of this hobby. I'd like to be able to port as much into the LPR/small field area as possible, as it increases accessibility to the "tech-ier" stuff for the kids, and the better we can keep rockets on the field and out of the trees. But I'm a ways off from doing anything substantial in that area. Criminee, just having to loft the battery needed to do this stuff might take a fellow right out of LPR!

Back