Heat resist tape?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbooregon

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was thinking about using an aluminum heat resistant tape (up to 600 degrees f) on the nylon tubular webbing shock cord from where it ties to the eye bolt to about the opening of the airframe where the nomex cloth would take over to protect it from heat exhaust. It's like duct tape.
Any thoughts? Overkill? I'm new to HP so just trying to cover my bases on my first HP rocket. Thanks for your feedback.
Cheers
James
Ayr Scotland

If you want to use tape, just use green painters tape. Works well for a couple launches, easy/cheap to remove/replace and doesn't leave a gummy residue.

Or, just dump a bunch of dog barf in there.

It would work. The problem is that it comes off over time and leaves a super gummy mess.

Use a nomex sleeve, instead.

-Kevin
Concur. I do not know any heat-resistant tapes that would not. Kapton?

I've used electrical tape. It stretches with the nylon. By the time it gets toasted enough to need replacing, it doesn't really leave any residue. Then again, just second layer works too. If you get over 50 flights and need to start looking at a 3rd layer, you might want to take everything apart and re-evaluate.

I bought automotive heat resistant tape on Amazon. Used for wrapping wire harnesses in the engine compartment. It’s a fabric material. So far it holds well and no sticky mess. There are several brands. I’ve used Tesa.

They make shock cord protectors. LOC part number is FRB-SLEEVE
I'm sure other companies make them too.

If you want to use tape, just use green painters tape. Works well for a couple launches, easy/cheap to remove/replace and doesn't leave a gummy residue.

Or, just dump a bunch of dog barf in there.
@Jimbooregon in case you haven't been exposed to the term yet, dog barf is cellulose insulation, i.e. "wadding" for HPR

No one wants you to make ur dog vomit in your rocket ;)

Josh

Large diameter heat-shrink tubing will work. Just shrink it on at both ends, and cut it off to replace every few flights. 0 residue, but of course a tad bit more stiff than a Nomex sleeve.

@Jimbooregon in case you haven't been exposed to the term yet, dog barf is cellulose insulation, i.e. "wadding" for HPR

No one wants you to make ur dog vomit in your rocket ;)

Josh

If I could get my dog to reliably vomit in rockets, I would definitely get on the carny circuit! :) You know someone out there would buy tickets to see that...

Thanks for posting this. I wonder how flexible it is. I'll find out as I ordered some. I'm going to put it on the part of the harness on the hot end of my piston

Josh
I'm familiar with that type of material from automotive, which is why I went looking for it. In typical HPR airframe sizes, I'd think the 5mm or 7mm sizes should coil or fold nicely.

Back