HD Camera for MPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V2rocketeer

Reaction score
Hi all

Looking for input on rockets flying f to h motors

Both of these cameras look the goods. Has anyone used either and how did you mount it to your rocket? I would think the tape method for the 808 type cameras doesn't apply :tongue:

https://www.rollei-bullet.com/typo3/index.php?id=rollei-bullet-hd-lite-2&L=3#/0

https://replayxd.com/cameras/replay-xd1080-camera/

Thank you for any input. I was thinking of mounting this on a Wildman Drago.

Chris

They look promising, but I suspect that he bullet is a little on the high side price wise.

A little on the expensive side but look very capable. It appears to mostly sold out of Europe so I would order early. I like the more aerodynamic shape.

Very capable and durable POV camera. Also much more expensive. It would be my choice if I needed one that was water proof and more durable.

Specs:

Replay XD
Replay XD1080 Tech Specs - Replay XD 2.jpg

Rollei Bullet HD Pro 1080p specifications
roll-specs.jpg

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have a Drift HD, which is a good deal bigger than either of those two cameras. I've only flown it on my daughter's G-Force. Having a 1/4-20 threaded insert made it easy to connect through the wall of the body tube with 1/4"+ hole and a 1/4"l bolt/rubber washer combo. I think it was ~$140 range, and came with several mounts (including a quick-release for my bike).

A mark against the bullet is that it only has 30FPS video. The Replay has 60FS. I would take 720/60FPS over 1080/30 any day for rocket flights. It allows you a little more flexibility in slowing down the launch/deploy/landing. I would jump at a higher speed camera (240FPS) to further extend the launch & first 200 feet of ascent. It would also make a forward facing camera great for deploy.

The Replay also looks like it might fit into a 29mm tube, depending on how much the buttons stick up. I wonder if you could keep the exhaust gases off the lens enough (with a high rail stop or rod collar) to mount it in a tube adjacent to the motor...presuming you'd build/modify a rocket specifically for the camera.

Last edited:
Some of the new gen of keychain cams take 1920X1080@30fps and 1280X720@60fps and sell at around $60-$70.

Back