Has anyone experimented with water landings?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal8472

Reaction score
I am up north, and most land is forest, farm or city. So I am looking at lakes (frozen or not) for launches. A few issues arise, such as making sure the fired rocket can float, making sure electronics bay is waterproof (and with no vent hole, sensors other than barometric), launch pad stability etc. One huge advantage in fire safety as lakes don't normally catch fire. Making rockets float is a challenge but quite manageable with air pockets. It also seems much easier to find the rockets after launch. Frozen lakes have the open area but wiring outside in the snow is not as much fun.

Has anyone tried launching on a lake? Any thoughts?

Andrew

Rocket for schools in Sheboyagan Wisconsin has been launching over the Lake for years. K-550's and J-350's in 4in & 5.5in, rockets.

The rockets are launched off a pier and angled out into the lake. Coast Guard auxiliary retrieves them. They use Loc phenolic tube 5.5in wood fins ands plastic NC's. Usually 50-60 rockets are flown with no ill effects after floating for 10-15 minutes. Usually several https://www.rockets4schools.org/ Fiberglass flights with L-M motors participate. Don't do anything out of the norm, but a water tight or foamed NC.

I have a 3in. rocket [fiberglass]I fly at Bong, with a foamed fiberglass NC, carved out for tracker, nothing else modified. twice it's landed in the lake for over an hour, I find it ...NC bobbing around on the surface, like someone fishing .......sending it's signal...rest of rocket sunk below surface. Swim out to it...retrieve, rinse off altimer with bottled water, set on dash to dry out, ready to fly next day.

I have foamed a straw alongside the edge of NC for antenna and press fit the tracker[carve space with knife] after fully wrapping with electrical tape to waterproof it. You can water-proof the av-bay by flush mounting aquarium pump hose in the vent holes, then making a small coil on the inside before the open end. It will breath fine before splash down.
Works kinda like a P-trap, some water may enter, but can't make it's way around the loops to the open end.

I've landed in water over a dozen times.... not by choice. Rinsing and drying some altimeters many times, so I don't even bother with water proofing ac-bay anymore. These were MissleWorks and Perfectflite altimeters.

attachment-1_2.jpg

attachment-3_2.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

Last edited:
Now for the real question Jim. Were these water landings planned or was it just part of the mystique of Bong and what can and will occasionally happen if you fly there🏊🚣 ? Look forward to seeing you back North at Princeton or Bong.

Thank you very much. This is great. It's nice to hear that it is possible without ill effects. Especially with a few design add ons.
Andrew

It wasn't intentional, but I landed my Giant Leap Vertical Assault in a pond. Absolutely no harm to the rocket or the electronics, including altimeter in the coupler and GPS in the NC. I did have to wash the chutes, Nomex pads and harnesses.

This Video cracks me up everytime I watch it!!! Enjoy!

[video=youtube;58RdTBpLCGo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58RdTBpLCGo[/video]

Well I have experienced a water landing but not intentionally! My Mercury Redstone decided to make like the real thing and splashed down in the river. Mainly suffered motor mount damage and is currently in the repair shop. Looks like it will live to fly another day....

Glenn

I had my PML Callisto land in the creek once. It floated fin end up because of the sealed air chambers. Because of the quantum tubing and phenolic MMT there was no damage. It's flown 50+ times since then.

Latest posts

Back