Has anyone ever thought of this?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffK

Reaction score
To me this sounds like somewhat of a dumb question, but if someone else has thought of this there must be some reason it can't be done. But...

Why not make parachutes out of Nomex? I understand that the ripstop nylon in the big boys is much stronger and that the strength is needed, but what about for mids and LPRs? You already buy nomex shields, why not take it the extra step and eliminate all the fuss? With a kevlar shock cord and shroud lines, the 'chute itself would bed the wadding, or no wadding would even be necessary.

Now textiles is definitely not my forte, but is this impractical for some reason? I can think that less strength would be one, and higher weight would be another. Cost might be a third, but I can't forsee it being so expensive that it would outweigh the cost of replacing a rocket and/or damage to property if things go awry. Also, I have no idea what this stuff costs...

If I could find some, I'd try it myself.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Feel free to take me to school if I'm off the deep end here.

Jeff K

This certainly not a dumb question. I thought Rocketman sold a Nomex chute but I don't see it on his site now. Could be another vendor. Maybe cost is the issue, or maybe it is actually that the cloth, although flame retardent, is not as durable as rip stop nylon. Hmm, think I'm just repeating you :) Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the rest of the TRFers think.

It has been my experience that nomex chute protectors get stiff and crusty pretty quickly. Also its would be heavy compared to a small protector and a chute of nylon or plastic.

Originally posted by rbeckey
It has been my experience that nomex chute protectors get stiff and crusty pretty quickly. Also its would be heavy compared to a small protector and a chute of nylon or plastic.

My 2 cents- I think to have a nomex chute in the required size would be heavier, and probably wouldn't stuff reall well. I noticed Total Tubes had a Nomex paper...that might be something to try.

I have 'chutes and streamers made from the same material pipe thread sealant tape is made from. They don't melt or get crispy from the ejection gases. I use Glide (TM) dental floss for shroud lines, it is also Teflon and can take the ejection heat. There are fiberglass reinforced teflon threads that will probably hold up much better. The "expanded" Teflon is easy to compact into a small space and the flat 'chutes streach to a hemispherical shape in flight. The problem is getting the bulk Teflon material.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055, A.K.A. Teflon Rocketry

Pipe thread tape?....I have used that and it is extremely weak...it always stretches and breaks even when I am careful with it. Are you using a stronger verions?

The dental floss idea sounds great.
I used it once to fix the flapper in my toilet. The chain broke and I searched around the bathroom and thought, why not, it seems pretty strong to me. Sure enough, a couple years later and that stuff is still doing the trick.
Toilet repair, rocket science...... dental floss, try it today!!!:)

Teflon Pipe thread tape comes in many thicknesses (and hence strengths) and densities. I also found it is also available in many different colors.

You can get a 43 foot roll of the 2 inch wide streamer quality pipe thread sealant tape from McMaster Carr, try part number 44945K16 for $9.19 at https://www.mcmaster.com The 2" wide material can be used for a permanent wadding or a 'chute protector. It doesn't get crispy like nomex and it cleans up easily with soap and water (baby wipes). The thinner material will eventually scorch and melt through, but it is much more robust than polyethylene, mylar, or nylon.

For more information, check out page 3 of NIRA's Leading Edge from May/June 1998. I think this link to it still works:
https://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cPwmP...prfm7qkEPtq-Rx/LeadingEdge/1998/may_jun98.pdf

My Estes Reliant with the original Teflon 'chute I made in 1998 is still flying, no wadding required!

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055, A.K.A. Teflon Rocketry

Back