Had 2 Leviathans. Turned one into a 29mm Big Daddy w/ stuffer tube.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBSSJoe

Reaction score
Ordered a Leviathan as my first MPR, it arrived with a kinked body tube. I asked Estes for a replacement body tube, they sent me the whole kit. So, I built the Leviathan. Nothing crazy, installed a semroc style baffle, kevlar shock cord, Top Flight 24" black parachute, nomex protector, etc.

Got bored, and saw some posts about converting Big Daddy kits to 29mm. So I decided to build my other Leviathan, minus the body tube, basically making it a Big Daddy with ply fins, mmt's, and 29mm mmt. I overestimated the amount of space I would have. Just to be weird, I want to not use stuffing, dog barf, nomex blanket, any of the accessories to reload this rocket. After looking into baffles, I decided using a stuffer tube right up the nose cone would be my best bet.

image6.JPG

Cut the nose nose and installed a centering ring in the base to accept the stuffer tube. Misdrilled one hole, filled it with epoxy- don't mind that. Eye bolt is secured with a nut and epoxy.
image4.JPG

Stuffer tube, with eye bolt on centering ring below.
image3.JPG

Shock cord and chute carefully packed. Both will fall out if turned upside down, so I don't think deployment will be an issue. Would still like one of the thin mil chutes from Top Flight though, will make packing a non-issue.
image5.JPG

Tested out acylic paint to dye epoxy... Worked out well.
image1.JPG

Measurements made while under construction... An 3 grain CTI case will fit. =) Probably a 4 grain as well.
image2.JPG

Here's my open rocket. It will need nose weight. I'm currently trying to figure out how much since it's the whole short 'n fat rocket thing. I'm thinking between 2-4 oz's.

View attachment Estes Leviathan turned Big Daddy.ork

The longer the motor case, the less nose weight you'll need to a point.
Pretty cool. Good flying.

Adrian

Back