Guess what this rocket is going to be

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffgeraci

Reaction score
The 3 pictures are easy clues... I'm going to launch this October 9 at Lucerne Dry Lake, and I think the kids are gonna love it... (even if "someone" else might not be so thrilled)<----hint

gf1.jpg

gf2.jpg

gf3.jpg

OK, here it is. The nose gets filled with water and a small goldfish, then plugged with a stopper. I'll post a video of the launch after Oct 9

gf1.jpg

gf5.JPG

Last edited:
If Micromeister has already made one of these, then I'm walking away from rocketry... :rant:

LOL... Does the vertebrae rule apply to goldfish? Seems silly but it might.

Where are you going to get the G-Force Space Suit for the fish??? Hope it doesnt end up a Goldilost. :(

LOL... Does the vertebrae rule apply to goldfish? Seems silly but it might.

Oh no, I should have known there would be some silly law on the books in this crazy society! Not sure where to start, but I'd better check it out. Thanks for heads up!

Oh no, I should have known there would be some silly law on the books in this crazy society! Not sure where to start, but I'd better check it out. Thanks for heads up!

Substitute goldfish with shrimp. Problem solved. :horse:

I'll bet even micro hasn't done that.

Now I think I read somewhere that NAR doesn't allow ANY LIVE payloads. I'm still searching...:confused:

I know it's an absolute for mammals and rodents, but I don't know about fish.

Theoretically, it probably can handle the G's since it's in water, but as for the "Tank".......probably not. :(

Well, fish do have vertebrae, so I have to assume it applies. The tank isn't going anywhere though. It's welded on and it's pliable, not rigid. The rocket runs on an E9, so I think (hope) it will be secure.

Worse case, I can just get some of my son's plastic fish and plants, get some small rocks, and use some epoxy to make it into a faux aquarium- definately not as fun though :(

The goldfish fanciers would be up in arms at any attempt to launch a live goldfish. You can probably find a very convincing looking fake.

Anything that looks like an aquarium on the end of a rocket is pretty cool.

You've just given me an idea, I know I have some of those same bulbs around. And no, mine doesn't involve fish....

Not sure when it changed, but back in 2001 it still included this.

6. PAYLOADS: My model rocket will never carry live animals (except insects) or a payload intended to be flammable, explosive or harmful

That is not there now https://www.nar.org/NARmrsc.html

Many goldfish don't have a very long life span. Just wait for a "floater" and there won't be any rule violation. A frozen fish stick or a bunch of goldfish crackers would be as exciting. :yawn:

If you fill the bulb with water, will the E9 have enough peak thrust to get it of the pad and up to speed?

Don't let PETA find out!

Can always pick up a cheap, plastic fish to put in the bowl.

Not sure when it changed, but back in 2001 it still included this.

6. PAYLOADS: My model rocket will never carry live animals (except insects) or a payload intended to be flammable, explosive or harmful

That is not there now https://www.nar.org/NARmrsc.html

That's odd. I dug up some of my old stuff buried in my footlocker that had a copy of the regulations (1983). It had that warning as well.

Don't let PETA find out!

Why not? Then PETA will send out some hot half-naked girls to protest- I don't mind listening to whiny tree-huggers if they're female, cute, and half-naked :clap:

Yeah, I'll probably go with fake fish in epoxy, unless I think of something else. Thanks guys

If yer Into hairy ARM pits and legs...gross

Why not? Then PETA will send out some hot half-naked girls to protest- I don't mind listening to whiny tree-huggers if they're female, cute, and half-naked :clap:

Yeah, I'll probably go with fake fish in epoxy, unless I think of something else. Thanks guys

Launching a gold fish in a payload that "might" survive should be allowed!
Afterall, the only hobby shop (now closed) in my area that was also a pet store had some kind of huge fish in a huge tank. And for 25 cents you could buy a gold fish and feed it to the huge fish, which it had ZERO chance of survival and probably lived awhile in the guts of the huge fish as it just inhaled it and swallowed it whole. How grusom is that? Compared to being able to see what a gold fish would otherwise never see from below the surface of any body of water? I'd think it would be more like, "Fish-R-Naunt" or "Astro-Fish"

Last edited:
Substitute goldfish with shrimp. Problem solved. :horse:

I'll bet even micro hasn't done that.

Absolutely Correct! I'm no tree hugger & can't stand PITA but...I DO NOT launch any Living thing, ever, Period.
There is absolutely NO credible reason to do such a cruel and inhumane thing to any living creature (even insects). NO science, no research, no fun, and it's NOT FUNNY. With all the other things to do in model rocketry there is simply no excuse for such unthinking cruelty.
Even if the poor creature survives the shocks of launch and ejection, assuming a recovery system is deployed should the rocket hangs in a tree or powerline or is otherwise lost you've condemned the on-board crew too a slow agonizing death by heat exposure, thirst or starvation. Think before you act! Even ending up as something else's dinner is a better end then what your proposing...at least that would be part of the circle of life.

Sorry Jeff; I can't get on board with this one. Put a fake plastic Goldfish in it and it's a Great Odd-Roc/Idea. but Launch NOTHING alive ever! Otherwise it's violating the spirit of the model rocket sporting code. I beleive you should step back and think about what we'er teaching the Kids!

Last edited:
It’s surprising to me how over the years, our society has become so detached from what is real. Our food is a prime example. It wasn’t long ago that I was a boy on my uncle’s ranch, and I watched him slaughter a pig- I nearly went into shock, I couldn’t believe it was real. I got over it quick, after he explained why he was doing it, and I even made myself a plate that night. All of us today are so detached from where our food comes from, because when we get it at the grocery store, it’s been processed, cleaned, dressed, guts and blood removed, and nicely packaged. We’ve become over-sensitized with brainwashing about the human-animal relationship, and while compassion and feelings against animal cruelty are warranted and to be respected, an E9 launch on this slow rocket would not harm the fish (I would NEVER harm an animal for entertainment!)

When it comes to animals and our food, we want someone else to do the killing and clean it up nice until it doesn’t look like a living creature anymore- then we can feel like we’re the loving animal-friendly people that we try to convince ourselves we are. Since we’ve been so far removed from the killing process, we deny our involvement- “we don’t eat living creatures, it was sitting there at the store, and all I did was pick it up and buy it- I didn’t harm a thing!” I won’t mention the leather shoes you’re wearing right now, or the number of animals that were “tortured” in the process of developing those medications your taking right now!

But all right everybody, don’t get your panties in a bunch!:y: I already planned to use a plastic fish, READ my posts… So now the feeder goldfish I would have launched once (without incident), and then kept at home in my nice aquarium afterwards, can now live another day at Petsmart, suffocating in its filthy, oxygen deprived tank with dead floating fish getting picked apart by other fish, eventually contracting ick or some nasty fungus, so it can die a slow painful death. Let’s hear it for the circle of life, woo-hoo!

(actually, my wife wouldn’t let me do it.):cry:

Feel better, Jeff? LOL...I could complain about that kind of thing every day. I haven't killed anything since I was a teen and have almost zero tolerance for big game trophy hunters and varmint hunting other than for livestock preservation. That being said, given the room for a deep freeze, you better believe I'd put in for a cow tag and go fetch an Elk to fill it up. I'm even down to almost zero firearms but still throw the NRA a couple bucks a year without benefit of membership. Like it or not, it serves its purpose for the greater good.

Long story short, I hear ya cluckin' Big Chicken :D

Feel better, Jeff? LOL...I could complain about that kind of thing every day. I haven't killed anything since I was a teen and have almost zero tolerance for big game trophy hunters and varmint hunting other than for livestock preservation. That being said, given the room for a deep freeze, you better believe I'd put in for a cow tag and go fetch an Elk to fill it up. I'm even down to almost zero firearms but still throw the NRA a couple bucks a year without benefit of membership. Like it or not, it serves its purpose for the greater good.

Long story short, I hear ya cluckin' Big Chicken :D

Thanks for the laugh, well said!
I was just ranting, but it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Nothing but good guys in this forum.

PS: I've never hunted, but I'd like to try for wild chickens some day, bu-gock!

Back