Ground Testing Deployment Charges

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SierraDrinker

Reaction score
Hey all,

I need to a ground test for my first attempt at dual deployment. What do you use to ignite the e-matches? I have a standard old Estes launch control system, but that is it.

Thanks for your help.

Ematches are much easier to light than a motor igniter so the Estes controller will do the job, just do not put the key in it until you are in a safe position as the small amount of continuity current allowed to pass through the light bulb to the leads can be enough to set off the ematch.

Why not use your electronics to do the firing...... I would think thats the best way to test your dual deployment gear.

I use the standard Estes controller. Continuity testing to turn on the light will fire the charge. Sometimes it’s a challenge to get the wire where you need it, but the pressure relief hole is usually sufficient. If I have a Quantum, I use that so I can fire the charges with the test feature. No wires are necessary. Love that feature in the Quantum.

I use a plastic container with machine screws through the plastic lid. Internal wires on the inside and connect matches, LEDs. or what ever I want to test to the outside. I have a small plastic tubing through the cover to apply vacuum to simulate a flight. That tests the altimeter.

The ematches and charges for ground testing is a different process. It is to test the charge sizes, not the altimeter.

The only rocket I've ever use vacuum on the av-bay to test the deployment charges was on my L1 cert rocket. Even then I had tested charges with a controller to determine the charge size first. It was only the final test when I loaded every up and applied vacuum to the av-bay.

Now I test the charge sizes and seldom test the altimeters prior to first flight since manufactures are so good with testing. The advantage of doing all those tests on the L1 cert rocket was that by the time I was ready to make the DD cert flight, I was very well familiar with the altimeter, how it worked, and it became one of the minor things I worried about on the cert flight.

If you are testing ejection charges fired by ematches, you can just touch the wires to a 9V battery. Actually, a AA will probably work too, although I haven't tried that.

Last edited:
Back