Green Jello's Level 1 Build - Wildman Jr. Kit - "Certify With Us" program

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it's not 38mm, but the CTI 29mm 4-grain H159 green^3 reload would seem like the perfect one for you given your forum name.

I'm thinking that will be my lvl. 1 cert motor when the time comes.

Just a thought.

I'm not afraid of the bigger motors really, the main issue is I don't have a tracker and I need to keep it in sight. Also, using motor eject with a big main at apogee might make for a long walk. I do like the idea of a nice long burn though.

Last edited:
Wait!! I just saw the thrustcurve on that I125. I had never seen the announcement on it. When are they available? I must have one!!!!!!

Last edited:
Ok...time to resurrect this thread and talk about what motor to certify on.

I'm gonna keep it simple and not involve dual deploy for the L1 cert and just do motor eject I think. So I need input on these two questions:

1) Do I fly the Wildman Jr in short mode, or the whole thing and just have the main chute in the lower section?

2) What 38mm CTI motor should I get?

First haven't looked at the other replies so I might repeat what they say..LOL

1)Fly it whole and have the main come out of the booster section.

2) The I180 Skid will give it a good ride! :wink:

Well, Open Rocket sims at 4,727' on the I125. That's more than I want. Oh well. I still must have one of those motors.

Well, Open Rocket sims at 4,727' on the I125. That's more than I want. Oh well. I still must have one of those motors.

I agree completely. Must have that motor, but wouldn't fly it for a cert. Your Jr. must be lighter than mine, Thrustcurve sims mine to 3981 ft. Just right for a dual deploy.

now hold on, It's maiden flight will be at LDRS in Black Rock.
and we're worried about not having a Tracker??????? Really???????:facepalm:
there's NO H or I motor that you can loose there, unless your blind.
Hell, just throw the BIGGEST "I" you can in that puppy!!!!! heck if I get there, I let you have a Big "I"
My L1 was a BIG "I" in Jean Dry lake, NV and it landed about 1/4 mile from launch point and hit 4500 feet in something very close to a Wildman or Darkstar, in fact DarkStar design started there!:dark:

Last edited:
At what elevation do you lose sight of a mid size rocket? The highest thing I've ever shot is a small Estes LPR kit to 3600'

Wildman JR, about 1 mile, depending on your vision , but only for a few seconds, use a reflective streamer for your drogue and I always put some reflective tape on the rocket too, help in spotting .
hey I just found a I-1299, yea baby:y:

L1 to remember!!!!!

Looks like it's decision time Dave. Did you take your rocket out on the last full moon and christen it? Will it be "Wild Green" or "Mild Green"?
Although I might stuff a J530 in my Jr. at some point, it wouldn't happen on a cert. flight. And I wouldn't pour alcohol on any of my rockets, regardless of the phase of the moon. Guess that makes me mild, but that could change under the right conditions....

April 26th is my birthday and a full moon. Sounds like a perfect time to christen this sucker.

meh... 3500 or so probably... he seems to launch from playas, motor eject and a 24" cross form, and he will be fine.

I second the x-form parachutes, my Binder Design JackHammer really gets up there (2,400' plus) on an I218R, but it doesn't drift on that parachute. It comes down pretty fast, probably faster than I would like, but so far it has landed on the field every time. The tube and fins are glassed, so it can handle the landings - which in Florida tends to be either a cow pasture or a sod farm.

got to watch dropping on to Playa, that stuff can be like cement.
Do it the WILDMAN way , go BIG or stay at home!!!:y:
or the mildman and put a H97 in it.:eyeroll:

I just officially pulled the trigger and sent the message to Kevin. Gonna go with the I125 White Longburn.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I'm no mildman.

I just officially pulled the trigger and sent the message to Kevin. Gonna go with the I125 White Longburn.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I'm no mildman.

Make sure you take some video of the launch!! If they have Verizon cell coverage at your launch site, you can use a TAGG Pet Tracker to keep tabs on it.

I will have video and pics for sure. There is some Verizon coverage at Black Rock, but I'm not gonna worry about it.

Make sure you take some video of the launch!! If they have Verizon cell coverage at your launch site, you can use a TAGG Pet Tracker to keep tabs on it.

Black Rock? Nope. Any cell coverage is a bit of a miracle.

-Kevin

I've been told that at XPRS, the temp tower from Burning Man is still up sometimes and then there is coverage.

It was when I was at BALLS, but there are no guarantees.

That said, at BALLS, the tower provided voice coverage only -- no data.

-Kevin

Here are a few new shots I took with the final paintjob. The only difference is the added purple between the fins.

IMG_3825LR.jpgIMG_3826LR.jpgIMG_3821lr.jpgIMG_3822lr.jpgIMG_3823lr.jpg

Typically I do not Wildman rockets, but that paint job is the icing on the cake. Absolutely gorgeous, man.

Back