Great day to paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Last weekend we had a bunch of rain and yesterday was very windy, but today it's nice and warm around 65-70 and absolutely no wind. I guess this is one of the perks not working. I get to spend more time building rockets. I'm painting the fins on my Bat Ray and so far so good. Next up going to paint the body and nose cone gloss black. I'm using Duplicolor enamel. When I'm done I'm going remove the masking from the engine retainer and cut a card board that will fit over it and within the body tube. I'll re-mask it and when I paint it black the body will be gloss black, but the aft center ring will be gloss gray. It should look pretty cool.

001.jpg002.jpg

Recovery will be a multicolor 20" TARC Fruity Chute with Kevlar shock cord.

You get to paint in December...........awwwwwwwwwwwww...that`s not fair LOL

You have no idea how jealous I am ! I like Duplicolor products ,their paint is great ,and those smaller cans of acrylic lacquer are really really nice (nice colors and metal flakes).Their filler primer is also very nice to work with.

Don`t forget to post plenty of pictures !!

Take care

Paul T

Great day to paint?
That is like an oxymoron!
Paint, great, and day in the same sentence without a negative... :rofl:
:)

Looking good, Dan.

You SoCal rocketeers have the best weather year round.

It was 28 degrees last night up here at the other end of the state.

Yeah Duplicolor makes some nice primers and paints. That's my paint by choice and I also like some of the Rustoleum paints. I know I feel spoiled to paint in December. I can't get over how nice and warm it is today, but it will all change by the weekend so that's why I wanted to get something done today. If it's nice tomorrow maybe I'll paint the body; but it just depends on how well the fins dried. I don't like rushing my paint jobs. It's not worth doing it over twice. I'll post pictures as I go along...I still have to start my G-Force...that's next.

Yeah Duplicolor makes some nice primers and paints. That's my paint by choice and I also like some of the Rustoleum paints. I know I feel spoiled to paint in December. I can't get over how nice and warm it is today, but it will all change by the weekend so that's why I wanted to get something done today. If it's nice tomorrow maybe I'll paint the body; but it just depends on how well the fins dried. I don't like rushing my paint jobs. It's not worth doing it over twice. I'll post pictures as I go along...I still have to start my G-Force...that's next.

I look forward to your G-Force build !

And yes Dan ,like you, I never rush a paint job ,because that`s when things can go wrong ,just not worth it.

Take care

Paul t

Looking good, Dan.

You SoCal rocketeers have the best weather year round.

It was 28 degrees last night up here at the other end of the state.

Try 18 here this morning. Still too cold and windy to even think about painting.

Well I decided to lay down the gloss black paint on my Bat Ray. It turned out pretty good. The first couple coats went on nice, but had some "fish eyes" not sure what causes this? I was very careful to apply multiple coats and wait between coats. I ended up lightly wet sanding the finish and then sprayed one nice coat. I made a few passes and called it done. It laid down really nice, but the "fish eyes" are still somewhat visible, but not as bad.

I decided rather than messing with it anymore; to be happy with the results and just face the facts that I'm not perfect at painting. I'm sure if I had a booth and a spray gun it would be a different story all together. Not only that this will be a daily flyer and it's not some scaled model, if it was I'm sure I would have spent more time on the finish. The Duplicolor Gloss Black worked well. I just spray my first light coat on the nose cone and waiting for it to slightly dry.

I should have the finish pictures posted later.

Back