Grain direction on plywood fins?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemanup

Reaction score
I picked up some 1/8" ply today for a scratch built i'm working on, and was wondering if the grain direction really matters with plywood?

I'm kind of assuming that the plys would have the grain laid perpendicular to eachother and this would rule out having to worry about which way the grain is on the fins.?

Am I correct?

thanks

Jason

Jason,

It prob. doesn't make much difference but, I line up the grain with the leading edge anyway...just me.

Now if it's just gonna be A to C engine powered then, NAW! It won't make any diff.

sandman

Jason,

For strength, it doesn't matter (much). YOu will get a slightly stronger fin and less flutter if you follow generic grain direction rules (using the grain of the visible outter wood as your que), but not a whole lot.

What folloiwng the grain rule *does* do, however, is make for a much easier to finish fin, for the leading edge anyway.

so, I would recommend that you align the grain as though it were a section of balsa wood. fwiw

Back