GPS Options for LPR/Smaller Builds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katinthebox

Reaction score
After losing a rocket last weekend (not into a tree, into the ether), I said myself "Surely, in the year 2021, there's gotta be an answer for this," and went to searching the internet.

Everything I found was either something that was described clearly but seemed unlikely to fit most of the kits I have/want, or was just a circuit board with no explanation as to how to build, use, or install it.

What I want:
  • "He went thattaway" It doesn't have to be too precise- I just don't want to be walking around the wrong corner of the field until I give up 100' away from where I should be looking. (the farmer next door lets me use his cornfield until he plants it... last years' stalks can obscure things more than you'd expect!)
  • Price point: ≤$200
  • Something that can fit in smaller builds (∅1", <2' length)
What I don't want:
  • Something with a siren/beeping noise. What if it gets stuck in someone's tree and I can't get it down? "Sorry, uh... that sound's gonna be part of your life for a while, ma'am."
  • Something that assumes knowledge on my part. I'm not a dummy, but I'd like some explanation of how to use what I'm buying. A lot of the sites selling DIY stuff just have listings for circuit boards and cables without any information as to how to assemble them, additional hardware/software requirements, or even a list of what you need to buy for a complete build.
  • Something that only works for things I don't fly. The field I use would accommodate a D motor if I launched at dead center and there was no breeze during flight.
What I can live with:
  • Some soldering required
  • Building slightly larger kits in the future
  • Going a bit over budget on something if it'll meet everything else I'm looking for.
Is there anything out there for me or am I just stuck waiting for things to get smaller/cheaper in the future?
Thanks!

Yeah Chuck you're right. Looks good to me too.
I think the LoRa stuff will drop the edge the amateur radio trackers have on range at least for the advanced sport flier.
Kurt Savegnago

One you can actually purchase now, already assembled, Aim Xtra
I looked into the Aim Xtra awhile ago. I think it is 30mm wide and would not fit in my 29mm frames.
I think it also requires a HAM license. If anything has changed let me know because I was interested.
I was mostly interested in the telemetry functions.

If I remember the last update Russ Parish gave on the SST correctly it’s going to be later this year before they can release it due to supplier issues. If it works as well as the Mini it should be a really nice option.

Yes, this year will be lucky. Ublox is still sliding dates out and distributers aren't even taking back orders anymore. Who knows what we will see or if their update cycle will throw any curve balls.

One you can actually purchase now, already assembled, Aim Xtra

What I want:
What I can live with:
  • Going a bit over budget

That's really cool, but it costs $420!

I guess I should define "a bit." Absolute max budget is $250. I'm just not in a position where I can justify potentially losing more money than that to an unexpected breeze blowing toward a high branch... Not losing it when I could get to it is awesome, but just knowing where it is might not mean anything more than being able to frown in the correct direction, y'know?

I really appreciate all the input, thank you everyone! I just got back into this a few months ago after over 15 years, and there's a lot I'm unfamiliar with along these lines... Cripes, I think the last time I asked a question online, someone picked up the phone before Jeeves could get back to me with an answer... but I'm always game to learn more!

After losing a rocket last weekend (not into a tree, into the ether), I said myself "Surely, in the year 2021, there's gotta be an answer for this," and went to searching the internet.

Everything I found was either something that was described clearly but seemed unlikely to fit most of the kits I have/want, or was just a circuit board with no explanation as to how to build, use, or install it.

What I want:
  • "He went thattaway" It doesn't have to be too precise- I just don't want to be walking around the wrong corner of the field until I give up 100' away from where I should be looking. (the farmer next door lets me use his cornfield until he plants it... last years' stalks can obscure things more than you'd expect!)
  • Something that can fit in smaller builds (∅1", <2' length)
What I don't want:
  • Something with a siren/beeping noise. What if it gets stuck in someone's tree and I can't get it down? "Sorry, uh... that sound's gonna be part of your life for a while, ma'am."
  • Something that assumes knowledge on my part. I'm not a dummy, but I'd like some explanation of how to use what I'm buying. A lot of the sites selling DIY stuff just have listings for circuit boards and cables without any information as to how to assemble them, additional hardware/software requirements, or even a list of what you need to buy for a complete build.
  • Something that only works for things I don't fly. The field I use would accommodate a D motor if I launched at dead center and there was no breeze during flight.
What I can live with:
  • Some soldering required
  • Building slightly larger kits in the future
  • Going a bit over budget on something if it'll meet everything else I'm looking for.
Is there anything out there for me or am I just stuck waiting for things to get smaller/cheaper in the future?
Thanks!
Marco Polo RF tracker. For what you’re looking for, for the price point you’re going to get exactly what you need with this product. It’s super simple, turn key ready and very dependable. For something simple and cheap that just works, it’s hard to beat.

Said it before, I'll say it again - If it is not available NOW, it does not exist.

A new product not being available yet is sort of like Schrodingers cat. It exists as a probability curve. A new product shown in prototype form undeniably exists, whether available or not.

Marco Polo RF tracker. For what you’re looking for, for the price point you’re going to get exactly what you need with this product. It’s super simple, turn key ready and very dependable. For something simple and cheap that just works, it’s hard to beat.

I have been looking at the Marco Polo system.

Latest posts

Back