Got to fly a few yesterday

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrowolf67

Reaction score
Subject says it all, couldn't pass on the weather. A bit warm, but very light, to no breeze most of the day.
First up, was the Estes Banshee on a C6-5. When the motor lit, it dropped off the clothes pin, and then as it rose, the motor hook caught the pin. It made it 3/4 of the way up the rod before stopping, and then ejected the parachute. I reloaded it, and repacked everything, and the second time, it went. I had put a 12" plastic chute in, for testing the wind, and it drifted a total of about 150 yards out.
Second, we launched Christopher's Quest Apollo on a Quest B6-4. Nice flight to about 300 feet, and the chute tangled. It almost landed back on the pad, and broke a fin off on landing. A bit of CA, and it'll be ready again.
Third up, was an Estes Super Shot. The rocket that got me hooked on these things again a few years ago. I put a C6-5 in it, and it was barely stable. It climbed out to about 600 feet, looking like and Estes Corkscrew all the way up. On a 12 inch chute, it only drifted maybe 50 yards out.
Fourth in line, was a Quest Falcon. My fourth rocket after getting back into the hobby. I put it up on a C6-5, and it got about the same as the Super Shot, 600 ft or so, and recovered maybe 20 yards away.
Next, was a Baby Bertha on a Quest B6-4, for a typical flight and recovery.
Sixth flight, was a Shuttle Express. The one with the little foam parasite gliders. Flew it on a Quest B6-4, and one glider circled down, and landed right by the pad. The booster landed about 5 feet away, and, the other glider, decided to make a run for it. It took off on a straight line, flying with the breeze, and landed at least 300 yards away. That's a long walk through cut off corn stalks!!
Seventh, was a Quest Superbird, which is built on the heavy side. I put a C6-5 in it, and it probably only got 400 feet, but did so gracefully. I almost was able to run and catch it, but a big mud puddle got in the way. It made it over the puddle though.
Eighth, was time for a D motor. My Big Daddy on a D12-5. I must have built this one heavy too. On a D12, it flies good, but really struggles for every inch of altitude it can get. Gonna have to get some E15-7's for this one.
Ninth, was a first flight on my second Estes Big Dog, with an Estes B6-4. Good flight, and not too high.
Tenth, Christopher wanted me to fly his RTF Cruise Missile. I loaded it with an A3-4, and it boosted pretty good. At apogee, the 12" chute popped out, for the first time on this little bird, and made me oh so happy. Even better than that, I took 4 steps backwards, and caught it!! Made me feel like a kid again!
Last flight of the day, I decided to go high. Really high. I dug out my Custom Aztec two stager, and loaded it with a C6-0 booster, and a C6-7 sustainer. When it took off, and kept going, I was certain we'd never see it again. Staging occurred at 400 feet at least!! Since this rocket uses a coupler between stages, I decided not to tape the motors together, hoping for a vertical second stage ignition. It worked. That little thing went out of sight. A few seconds later, I saw the tracking smoke arching over, and then poof!! It disappeared. I pulled the key out of the controller, turned the controller off (Pro Series Command Control), then laid it down on the ground. I looked back to the sky, and then a few seconds later, saw a flash. About 10 seconds later, and I saw another flash, then was able to zero in on the mylar streamer I had used. I'd say it got every inch of 2500 feet, if not more, going by the decent time. My wife got tickled when I started yelling "it's coming back!!". I didn't expect to ever see it again. I had to walk about 1/4 mile through that corn field to get it, but I recovered the darned thing. But, was too tired to do anything else after walking back. So, we packed up and went home.

Sorry the post was so long, I just like to give details.
Here's a link to the pics. If the link wraps, you might have to cut and paste the rest of it.

https://tinyurl.com/9ht3k

cool pics, i just finished building a stock aztec, perhaps flying it sometime this week

Bunker, a tip for the Aztec, pu some nose weight in. I've got about 3/4 oz in mine. The first Aztec I saw fly, was at NARAM 45, in two stage configuration. I think it had a B6-0/B6-6 combo in it. It went unstable, and second stage ignition was horizontal. At the same launch, I went back, mixed up some epoxy and BB's, and poured it in the nose. When I went to fly mine, it was perfectly stable:D I also don't use a parachute. I use a streamer made from one of those space blankets. 3x30 inch brings it in fast, but soft enough to prevent damage.

Back